Passing through Oculus Rift to Windows 10 VM

So I posted this very question in /r/UNRAID a bit ago and the troubleshooting steps there didn't help, so I figured I'd see if there were more experienced community members able to help me here. (No offense to anyone there, just trying to get eyeballs on the issue). 

I know variations of this question have come up a few times, but I'm still at a loss as to what to fix.

I'm using this Vantec Quad Chip USB 3.0 Card.

It successfully passes through to the Windows 10 VM, and I can see them under "Other PCI Devices" in the VM Editor. See here.

However, when in the VM itself, running Oculus setup, the setup program can't detect any of the devices, even the HDMI cord from the Rift headset, which is connected to an RTX 2070 that otherwise is working perfectly. Setup app issue.

Here are the basics of the server's hardware itself:

CPU: Ryzen 3900XT
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
RAM: (4x8) 32GB DRR4-2666 GSKILL
GPU EVGA KO RTX 2070 SUPER
PSU Corsair RM 850W

I've tried the following troubleshooting steps, none of them to any avail:

• Reboot the VM
  • Windows Update
  • Reboot the UNRAID server
  • Reinstall the VM with a fresh Windows 10 image.
  • Change PCI slot of the USB controller
  • Pass through just USB without GPU passthrough.
  • Tried Windows install with virtio 0.1.141-1, 0.1.160-1, and 0.1.173-2 driver images.
  • Plugged Rift sensors into both motherboard usb controller and one into PCI card
  • Installed the Windows drivers from Vantec for the PCI device
  • Uninstall and reinstall vfio-pci cfg / rebuild config file.
  • Passthrough 1 of the 4 controllers
  • Reinstall NVIDIA drivers

After all of these steps I'm at an absolute loss as on how to pass the USB devices and getting Windows to recognize them. UNRAID doesn't recognize the Oculus devices in the controllers either, is that the issue, and if so, is there any way to fix it?

Try passing through the onboard USB controller instead of the 3rd party one. Ryzen chipset has 1 USB controller that can be passed through (and 1 that can't) while 3rd party USB controller may or may not work. Of course double check that your Unraid usb stick isn't plugged into the controller being passed through.

• 1 year later...