Transfer speeds slowed after adding parity

Hello, 

Very new to unraid, just did a first time setup that went well. I built a new NAS, new 4x 8tb HDs and transferred all my data first before adding the parity drive. The speeds were good over my home network, everything physically cabled, about 120 mb/s on avg transferring files. After moving everything I used the 8tb WD purple (non SMR) I had in my desktop as the new parity drive. It built with good speed, about 180 mb/s, slowing a bit in the end but finishing after 15 hours. I dont have a cache drive. All data going to unraid is being done manually still, nothing automatic set. 

Now when I transfer files the exact same way, to the same shares that now have parity protection, the speeds starts at 120 mb/s and drops to 30-40mb/s after a few seconds, and stays like that consistently. 2-3 GB files that would have gotten a consistent 120mb/s now get 35mb/s. A transfer that took 5 minutes before adding a parity drive, now takes 20 minutes. Cannot figure out why. 

Thank You