Unraid WebUI through Nginx reverse proxy

Hello,

Currently testing Unraid with a view to buying a licence, and am looking to put the WebUI through an internal Nginx proxy so its covered by a trusted SSL cert (I know there is a self-signed UI available, but would like it all put through the internal proxy). It all works for the most part, but some items do not:

• CPU use does not update on the Dashboard page
  • Cant open VNC viewer for VMs/console window for Unraid server

Has anyone had any luck putting the WebUI behind Nginx? Note that this will only be internally accessible - it will not be internet facing.

Thanks

Edited by start846432
Typo
51 minutes ago, start846432 said:

Has anyone had any luck putting the WebUI behind Nginx?

That should NOT be attempted.

Exposing the Unraid GUI to the Internet is asking for troubles since Unraid was never intended for such use.

You should set up a VPN (e.g. Wireguard is included via a plugin or use OpenVPN) and use that to access the GUI.

8 minutes ago, testdasi said:

That should NOT be attempted.

Exposing the Unraid GUI to the Internet is asking for troubles since Unraid was never intended for such use.

You should set up a VPN (e.g. Wireguard is included via a plugin or use OpenVPN) and use that to access the GUI.

Post updated making it clear this is internally accessible only - it wont be exposed to the internet.

• 3 months later...

I'm also interested in this. Also evaluating Unraid at the moment to replace my docker server on esxi.

In my previous setup on a ubuntu host I created a folder structure for every docker app that I use. A global reverse proxy was used to make all apps available with a external network in docker. That network was reused in every app (docker-compose). The only thing that I had to do manually was a letsencrypt cert renewal since I used a *.wildcard.ext domain internally. This uses a DNS validation and does not require you to open port 80/443 to your internal server.

So also this setup is stricktly used internally, external use only trough vpn (nextcloud sync).

• 2 years later...

This Thread is 3 years old but I also tried to find an answer to this question.

I'm using

• Unraid 6.12.3
  • Nginx Proxy Manager

After some trial and error I got it working by activating "Websocket Support" for the Domain name in the Nginx Proxy Manager.

I also only use it for internal use, so no exposure to the Internet.

Hopefully this will help a lost soul finding this thread in the future :)

Edited by Kiwih
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 8/26/2023 at 8:45 AM, Kiwih said:

This Thread is 3 years old but I also tried to find an answer to this question.

I'm using

• Unraid 6.12.3
  • Nginx Proxy Manager

After some trial and error I got it working by activating "Websocket Support" for the Domain name in the Nginx Proxy Manager.

I also only use it for internal use, so no exposure to the Internet.

Hopefully this will help a lost soul finding this thread in the future :)

Today you have helped this lost soul. Thanks for the fix!!!

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...