AMD Zen2 Ryzen nested virtualization help needed

I have 3950x on x570 taichi, windows 10 os build 20180

i tried different method and different version of windows, still no luck, anyone get this to work?? 

-tried host-passthough, host model and spaceinvander's nest on nest off script, 

i really want to run hyper v and android emulator(nox) on windows, running bliss os /android x86 just doesnt work that great.

thanks in advance~  

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to update I've been able to successfully get nested virtualisation running on my AMD 1950x after a few fails over the previous years.

Use case for needing this is to use Docker Desktop as part of my integrated development toolset.

So what did I need to do? I set the following via a script (SpaceInvader's from memory)

modprobe -r kvm_amd
modprobe kvm_amd nested=1

After creating a backup of my vdisk in case the changes bricked my VM, I installed docker desktop, which then required WSL2 installed (WSL2 is basically a mini hyper-v vm).

So installed WSL2, rebooted... the reboot never recovered :( oh crap... force stop.

Started VM one more time to see if it would recover... woohoo everything is working now :)

These are the same steps I had tried on previous attempts, so a newer kernel/qemu and/or windows has made this possible.

Edited by tjb_altf4
  • Like 1