[6.8.3] Unraid refuses to use share allocation settings

Hello!

I have a unriad server running 6.8.3 with several dockers. My issue is that unraid refuses to use the share allocation method set.

Here's the config for appdata

image.thumb.png.b6e239d831f5c056ac41e7279780d29a.png

and the current state of the array

image.png.6fa536f18517c9453ef9172e21c24823.png

but can't seem to find a place for these tiny plex files???

https://pastebin.com/64ukUCeM

None of the allocation methods seem to do anything and just fill the first disk till error, any help is appreciated.

Diagnostics attached aswell

image.png

athena-diagnostics-20200808-1041.zip

I think your split level is causing your problem, but you really shouldn't be trying to do it this way anyway.

You really want to keep appdata and system shares on cache. They are cache-prefer by default but you have changed them to cache-yes, with the result that they have files on the array. With these on the array, your docker performance will be impacted by the slower parity writes, and your dockers will keep array disks spinning since there will be open files on the array.

And it looks like you have plenty of cache to work with, so no good reason to put these on the array. You can backup appdata with the CA Backup plugin.

Also, your docker image is currently 64G (though it is set as 16G in docker.cfg). 20G is the usual recommendation and should be more than enough unless you have something misconfigured.

And, generally, I don't recommend Most-Free allocation method. This can also perform badly since it might force Unraid to spin up disks as it tries to keep them at the same amount free. The default allocation method of High-Water is default for good reason. It is a compromise between using all disks (eventually) while not constantly switching disks just because one disk temporarily has more free space than another.

This happens with every share though.

Changed appdata back to cache and changed the split level to auto, ill back up appdata afterwards aswell.

I had my docker image at 64 initially because I thought I would need WAYYYY more than I really do, will delete and recreate once I do a backup for safety (as far as I know, it shouldn't affect it but ya know, CYA).

But my issue is that no matter what the allocation method is, it always seems to just write to the first disk.

8 minutes ago, epickitten said:

Changed appdata back to cache and changed the split level to auto

Changing split level won't have any effect on existing files, and even the use cache setting won't help since mover can't move open files.

Let's proceed with getting things like I mentioned and then we can take a look at whether or not you still have a problem.

Go to Settings - Docker, disable dockers then from that same page delete the docker image. Leave dockers disabled until we are finished getting appdata and system moved to cache.

Go to User Shares 

Click on the appdata share to get to its settings. Change it to Use cache: Prefer.

Click on the system share to get to its settings. Change it to Use cache: Prefer.

Go to Main - Array Operation and click the Move button.

Wait for Mover to finish then post new diagnostics.