It has begun!

jeff.lebowski

Oh man. I have been waiting for this day for the last three weeks. neilt (an unRAID user) told me about this a long time ago, but I was concerned about a server running 24/7, so I went another route. Yeah, that was a bad choice after finding out about the spindown function. I finally decided enough was enough and put together a wish list of goodies, thought about it for a few days, then put them in the cart and clicked ORDER!

I took a couple afternoons this week, and built things slowly. Taking the time to manage the cables, and even ordering an 8" 4 pin ATX extender so I can run that cable in the little area between the mobo and the case's side panel. That arrives tomorrow. In the meantime, I was able to do the initial setup stuff today; memtest86 (no errors), then boot from unRAID on the flash drive. I did that, installed unMENU, and got the email notification script working. The preclear on a jumpered 2tb EARS is underway right now. The pre-read is 82% done after 5:20:00. Drive temp is 31C in a 16C room. The speeds started at about 110MB/s, but has dropped to 65MB/s.

My big issue is data transfer. That EARS was the only empty drive I had. Between my four machines, I have enough room to empty a 2tb drive, but it's a PITA. Once it's on those machines, then I'll place the newly empty drive in the server, pre-clear it, add it to the array, and start moving data back with teracopy's crc check. Long and tedious. Slowly, but surely I'll get everything on there and protected.

The server is going to sit on a shelf in my master bedroom closet. The modem > router > switch is right there, so that's really best. I have to complete the shelf tomorrow while the pre-clear completes.

Alright, time to relax now. Looking forward to many years of unRAID use.

All done!

63c63
< 193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       268
---
> 193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       270

The new preclear_disk.sh script is now available. 

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2817.0

and so is unRAID 4.7. Here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10198.0

They are made to work together.  A new "-A" option to the preclear_disk.sh script will create a pre-clear signature that unRAID 4.7 onward will recognize and that will make unRAID create the disk partition aligned on a 4k boundary.

If you did not jumper the drive, give it a try.  If you did jumper the drive you can either leave the jumper in place and NOT use the new "-A" option, or remove the jumper and re-run the pre-clear with the "-A" option.

Joe L.