SATA Cards and OSX VM

Hi,

I'm building a new HTPC/NAS and have been considering to give Unraid a try on it as I've heard many great things. Previously, I've used Open Media Vault, QNAP systems and also Proxmox based hypervisor for hosting VM's (OSX, Linux, Windows).

Hardware wise, it will be Ryzen based system with either a GT730 (Kepler)  or RX560 graphics card as I understand both of these will work in OSX up to Big Sur. They're also both relatively small and low temperature/power so good for a compact case (Fractal Design Node 804). I've been reading through the forums and it looks like people are generally having issues with OSX on Unraid. Has anyone gotten Big Sur running? Actually, I am a little confused as to the many issues as there is a OpenCore OSX/KVM github project and in the case of Proxmox, a slightly modified OpenCore also available (https://github.com/thenickdude/KVM-Opencore). If there is something specific that makes this more difficult then let me know.

Finally, are there any general notes or feedback on adding SATA3 cards? I've read to avoid Marvell chipsets. Are there any other recommended reasonably priced 4/6 port cards that work with UnRaid?

Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

5 hours ago, paulmorabi said:

Thanks. Yes, I saw the above though it's running Clover rather than Opencore (which is generally considered better) and also not Big Sur (at least yet).

Big Sur is compatible with opencore, but take into account that there are some issues since it's still in "early" development, so still not sure if issues are related to the os or to the bootloader.

The Acidanthera team is and will probably develop some general commits to their sources now, waiting for the gold master edition.

However, replying to your question, yes big sur can actually (beta 5) be installed and run.

For Ryzen you will need to apply additional patches, opencore can run on amd, but it's not supported by the team (only intel).

Opencore doesn't need any custom/patched OVMF, it works well with latest stable version 05/2020.

For more general information, apart the suggested video, there are some other posts/tutorials (for older mac os versions, high sierra/mojave for example) and the tips and tricks for mac os vm:

Just to be clear enough, it's not Unraid having problems with mac os, Unraid uses qemu-kvm, so if there are issues it's qemu having problems with mac os, or non apple hardware.

Edited by ghost82