ffmpeg help needed

kricker

I am trying to get ffmpeg working under unRaid 4.6 for use with Serviio DLNA media server. I've tried various ffmpeg builds for Slackware 12.2-13.2. No matter which build I have tried, I get an error of some sort when typing "ffmpeg" at the command prompt. Some builds report that the ffmpeg executable can not be run, or something like that. All other builds report some sort of file can not be found. I have tried builds from:

Now I am thinking I may need to compile my own build (preferably from the modified Serviio source). This is way above my linux knowledge. I've been through the PS3 Media Server thread and all links to ffmpeg that I saw were broken, but that is where I backtracked and got the 1st source I used. Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction to get a version of ffmpeg working?

Good idea. I can try that then remove the parts I don't need afterward. I got unMenu installed and working. I posted in that thread a couple days ago about Java installing but not starting. It was the first thing I needed to get working for Serviio. I was going to try the Playstation Media Server as I thought I saw it as an unMenu package in the past, but it wasn't in the new version and I've been tinkering with Serviio on the windows side.

Thanks for the tip. I will try it now. Hopefully I'll have enough RAM to get all that compiled.

Thanks for the tip. I will try it now. Hopefully I'll have enough RAM to get all that compiled.

The unMENU package uses a few tricks to be able to compile it in a small amount of RAM.  Make sure you Stop the array first before attempting the compile.  It frees up RAM and, if you do run out, you will not be faced with a lengthy parity check when you are forced to reboot.  Once the compile is complete, you can re-start the array.  I was able to compile it with only 512Meg of RAM that way.

Will do. I thought I read about stopping the array before compiling. Right now my unRaid became unresponsive when installing the gcc stuff. I'll keep at it though.

It will take a few minutes to download the files...  unMENU will not return until it does.  Same with the compile... It will take some time. 

Okay. I switched to a larger flash drive. Airvideo is not installed. Invoking "ffmpeg" at the prompt though results in "-bash: ffmpeg: command not found".

I see the ffmpeg folder in the /boot/packages folder. I can invoke ffmpeg from in that folder, but only that folder. Is that how it should be? Or should it get installed into the system?

Okay. I switched to a larger flash drive. Airvideo is not installed. Invoking "ffmpeg" at the prompt though results in "-bash: ffmpeg: command not found".

I see the ffmpeg folder in the /boot/packages folder. I can invoke ffmpeg from in that folder, but only that folder. Is that how it should be? Or should it get installed into the system?

That folder is not in your search path.

You can easily add it by typing

PATH=$PATH:/boot/packages/ffmpeg:

export PATH

of course, you could also copy "ffmpeg" to a directory in your path,

or, just invoke it by its full path

/boot/packages/ffmpeg/ffmpeg ......

I guess I was expecting it to get installed like the .tgz I downloaded and ran installpkg on. I think I will try to add it to the search path in my go script and see how Serviio responds to that. Thank you very much for all your help.

I guess it was specifically invoked by the full path by airvideo.  I never really looked. I don't have an iPhone.  (but I do have a Droid-X  ;D)

I'll bet you did not know so much was involved in compiling ffmpeg...

Interestingly, ffmpeg only works properly if Airvideo remains installed. Otherwise I get :

root@Tower:~# ffmpeg
ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libfaac.so.0: cannot open shared o
bject file: No such file or directory

Well yeah... it depends on most all of those libraries installed with Airvideo.

Since the .tgz files are in your /boot/packages directory, you just need to add

installpkg /boot/packages/faac-1.26-i486-1gds.tgz

installpkg /boot/packages/faad2-2.6.1-i486-2gds.tgz

installpkg /boot/packages/git-core-0.99.6-i486-1mik.tgz

installpkg /boot/packages/lame-3.98.2-i486-1gds.tgz

installpkg /boot/packages/mpeg4ip-1.5.0.1-i486-1ahl.tgz

installpkg /boot/packages/xvidcore-1.2.1-i486-1sl.tgz

installpkg /boot/packages/yasm-0.7.2-i486-1sl.tgz

installpkg /boot/packages/jam-2.5-i486-2gal.tgz

installpkg /boot/packages/x264-20100425-i486-1alien.tgz

installpkg /boot/packages/libX11-1.1.5-i486-1.tgz

installpkg /boot/packages/libxcb-1.0-i486-1ced.tgz

installpkg /boot/packages/libXau-1.0.4-i486-1.tgz

lines in your "go" script to re-install them when you reboot.

Interestingly, ffmpeg only works properly if Airvideo remains installed. Otherwise I get :

root@Tower:~# ffmpeg
ffmpeg: error while loading shared libraries: libfaac.so.0: cannot open shared o
bject file: No such file or directory

Probably because the install script for Airvideo installs those needed libraries for you.

When I created the Airvideo unmenu package I did not bother with adding ffmpeg to the path because I knew exactly where ffmpeg resided.

Yeah. Thanks fellas. I was looking thru the "AirVideoServerLinux.jar.auto_install" file and seeing what all got installed. I figured I could do it all by hand. right now Serviio or Java is crashing on me so I'll deal with that first.

I did add to my go script:

cp /boot/packages/ffmpeg/ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg

Which gets it into my $PATH just fine.

When I tried to add:

PATH=$PATH:/boot/packages/ffmpeg:
export PATH

it did not work for root.

Time for a new thread dealing with my crashing now. ;)