share can not be acessed when set to private

You are probably already connected to the server using a different account. Windows will only allow one set of credentials to be used at a time, and even though it asks for a username and password, it'll never try it.

To confirm, temporarily set ALL exported shares to private, restart your client computer, and see what happens when you enter those credentials.

15 hours ago, jonathanm said:

You are probably already connected to the server using a different account. Windows will only allow one set of credentials to be used at a time, and even though it asks for a username and password, it'll never try it.

To confirm, temporarily set ALL exported shares to private, restart your client computer, and see what happens when you enter those credentials.

would this also cause problem for an ubuntu machine trying to connect? could i make a second service account and give it access to the share?

i don't need it connect with a windows machine.

i have this in my fstab

//192.168.1.123/NextCloud /mnt/NextCloud cifs username=<user>,password=<password>,uid=1000,gid=100, 0 0

sudo -a gives permission denied error. even though the user name is spelled right the PW copy and pasted.

HOWEVER if i set it to public it will work.

13 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Try

//<serverIP>/<share> <local mount point> cifs file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,_netdev,username=<user>,password=<password>,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

Be sure your local mount point has the correct permissions as well.

do i want the brackets in there just like that over the ip and share?

huh i can't LS even as sudo, nor mkdir

EDIT: rebooted and ran. sudo mount -a

i've had issue binding ubuntu 20.04 on other computers to smb as well. and NFS in unraid is broke and has been. LimeTech said the solution is to stop using it.

EDIT: i think SMB is broken on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and NFS is broken on unRaid 6.8 so i'm screwed.

Edited by cdoublejj

Try putting the local mount point inside your home directory instead of /mnt

cd to your Documents folder, and mkdir Nextcloud there, don't use sudo. Then change the fstab local folder to /home/<ubuntu user>/Documents/Nextcloud

and see how you get on.

P.S. Please replace <ubuntu user> with the correct characters. Like /home/owner/Documents/Nextcloud, if your Ubuntu username was owner.