Tyan i7505 s2665 motherboard, won't reliably boot from USB

Vocatus

note: this is a branch of this thread to deal specifically with a USB boot issue. I apologize if this is against the rules.

I have a Tyan i7505 S2665 motherboard, loaded with the latest BIOS to enable USB booting (v. 1.16.2665).

USB boot works sporadically. Sometimes it will not detect the USB disk at all. Sometimes it detects it but fails to boot. Sometimes it will only boot if I have two identically formatted USB sticks in different ports.

I have tried:

- USB 1.1 only mode

- Different ports

- Hard reset

- Changing boot order

- Disabling various onboard devices

- A 2GB memory stick and an 8GB stick, identically formatted.

It is completely unpredictable when it will boot. Nothing I've done seems to make a consistent difference.

I can't seem to track down what is causing the failure. I would like to use a kicker floppy to boot but I cannot find the files (the only link I found by searching was a dead link).

Help!

note: this is a branch of this thread to deal specifically with a USB boot issue. I apologize if this is against the rules.

On the contrary, we encourage this!  Splitting the thread like you have makes it much easier for others to find the solution to their specific problem instead of browsing through a bunch of unrelated threads that go off on tangents.

Have you tried the various different USB emulation modes?  Forced FDD, HDD, etc.

When you change the boot order, does it stick between reboots?  If not, then you may have a dead or dying CMOS battery.  Also, check your motherboard for a jumper on the 'clear_cmos' pins.  If there's a jumper there, remove it.

On the contrary, we encourage this!  Splitting the thread like you have makes it much easier for others to find the solution to their specific problem instead of browsing through a bunch of unrelated threads that go off on tangents.

Have you tried the various different USB emulation modes?  Forced FDD, HDD, etc.

When you change the boot order, does it stick between reboots?  If not, then you may have a dead or dying CMOS battery.  Also, check your motherboard for a jumper on the 'clear_cmos' pins.  If there's a jumper there, remove it.

Thanks Rajahal, wasn't sure if I'd get lined up for the firing squad :P

The boot settings do stick between boots, so I don't think it's a CMOS issue.

I also toggled the "Clear extended configuration area" box and rebooted, to no avail.

Is there a standardized location to get a generic kicker floppy image?

Is there a standardized location to get a generic kicker floppy image?

...this helped me several times to boot from USB on older HW: plop bootmanager

It will allow to chainload the media you need.

Here's a copy from the feature list:

* USB boot without BIOS support (UHCI, OHCI and EHCI)

* CD/DVD boot without BIOS support (IDE)

* PCMCIA CardBus support to enable boot from USB PC-Cards

* Floppy boot

* Different profiles for operating systems

* Define up to 16 partitions

* No extra partition for the boot manager

* Hidden boot, maybe you have a rescue system installed and the user should not see that there is another system installed

* Boot countdown

* Hide partitions

* Password protection for the computer and the boot manager setup

* Backup of partition table data

* Textmode user interface 80x50

* Graphic user interface 640x480, 800x600, 1024x786, 1280x1024

* MBR partition table edit

* Start of the boot manager from harddisk, floppy, USB, CD, DVD

* Starting from Windows boot menu

* Starting from LILO, GRUB, Syslinux, Isolinux, Pxelinux (network)

* It can be used as PCI option ROM

* Access the whole USB hard disk (up to 2TB) even when the bios has a 128 GiB limit

* You can run the boot manager over the network

* Start the networkcard bootrom from the boot manager to boot from the network

* The boot manager is freeware

Archived