UNRAID on my Homelab

fiR3W4LL

Hi Guys,

I am new here, and am quite excited to hear about your experiences.
I have a "consumer" server for a few years now!
Ryzen 7 2700x
64GB Ram (non ECC)
4x 6TB WD Reds
1x NVMe Samsung 970 Evo plus 500GB
Nvidia GTX 1060 

I have been looking for a solution that is tailored to my needs for a long time. Currently I am using WIndows Server 2016 which somehow doesn't quite convince me.

There are 2 VM's working on it, which could be more, but somehow the system limits me. The most important thing is that Plex Server works well and that the movies are transcoded correctly with the Ryzen and Nvidia GPU. In addition to that I should run several game servers (Space Engineers, The Forest, ARK etc.) Additionally Teamspeak, PiHole runs on VM and a Linux system where the files are downloaded via JDownloader. 
I saw that JDownloader could run over a docker and save me some work.

My question, would everything really work without a big performance loss? And do I get the same read and write speeds with ZFS as I do now?

Many thanks in advance

17 hours ago, fiR3W4LL said:

And do I get the same read and write speeds with ZFS as I do now?

Unraid currently doesn't natively support ZFS, but rather XFS / BTRFS.  There is however a plugin for the system which does add ZFS support.

From the array disks, you will not get the same performance.  Unraid (for multiple reasons, all of which are a big selling point of the software) does not stripe data on the array, hence you're limited to the maximum read / write speed of a single drive.

• 1 year later...

Do you have a parity disk + data disk array working in your Test Setup?  With operations directly to the array (no cache setup), you should find the write speeds are about half of the read speeds.  (Top speed would be dictated by the speed of the HDD.)

EDIT:  Be sure that you are writing enough data to the array that you fill the RAM buffer.   A couple of GB's should be enough...

Edited by Frank1940

Hi Frank

I do have one Parity disk and 3 Data Disk Array.

Yes i saw, that without Cache the transfer speeds went down in the basement to 50mb/s

With the SSD Cache i got speed about 500mb/s

I realy like unraid, how easy it is. My 2 Proxmox Server, most of the Application are docker in UnRaid. And beside that i have more or less 4 VM's in the Background as Dedicated server. But i dont know if i should change my whole setup only for this few cons.

But im unsure about the speed of the array and the whole network configuration if it works like now in proxmox.