New Build Does not Recognize WD Red HD's

Hi All,

I just recently built a new Unraid system and have managed to boot into Unraid but upon installing the new 6 x 10Tb WD Reds

the system would NOT recognize them nor do they come up in the ASUS Bios. Im quite good at troubleshooting but Unraid is new to me

and im not sure where to begin. My system specs are as follows:-

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi)
Memory: G. Skill Trident Z 64GB (4x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro P2000
Case: Supermicro 846 w/ SAS2 Backplane
PSU: 2 x  SuperMicro PWS-920P-SQ
Hard Drives: 2 x 1Tb Samsung 860 PRO SSD + 2 x 1Tb Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 (Visible in BIOS & Unraid)
Internal HBA: LSI SAS 9266-8i (Shipped in IT Mode from TheServerStore)

From what i can tell the LSI SAS Card is visible in Unraid under Settings/Devices as a IOMMU attached device but

im not sure if its a setting in the ASUS Bios preventing me from seeing the 6 x 10Tb Hard Drives in Unraid as unassigned devices or if it could

be something else like HBA card is in the wrong PCIE slot...Im LOST. Any advice would be greatly appreciated in assisting in my expensive project. 

image1.jpg

image01234.jpg

image1.jpg

Oh its a RAID controller!...What model HBA would you recommend to purchase that would be helpful for future upgrades?

Is Ebay the best place for this? Are there any distributors that sell HBA's that are already flashed into IT mode?

Will this item be okay for my system?

... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LSI-6Gbps-SAS-HBA-LSI-9211-8i-FW-P20-IT-Mode-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID-AU-seller-/143007085943

Thanks in advance...

Edited by W3APONX

Any LSI with a SAS2008/2308/3008/3408 chipset in IT mode, e.g., 9201-8i, 9211-8i, 9207-8i, 9300-8i, 9400-8i, etc and clones, like the Dell H200/H310 and IBM M1015, these latter ones need to be crossflashed.

You can get one for example in "the art of server" shop on ebay, it's a reputable seller of IT mode HBAs.

25 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You can get one for example in "the art of server" shop on ebay, it's a reputable seller of IT mode HBAs.

I took your advice and am looking at purchasing Supermicro LSI 9300-8i from the above mentioned store.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-LSI-9300-8i-low-profile-12Gbps-SAS-HBA-P16-IT-mode-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID/163737344715?epid=1537578139&hash=item261f819acb:g:TowAAOSwb7ddBe9j

As it says it already in IT Mode im assuming its plug and play? What would performance be like considering i

may install another 6-10 x 10Tb HD's and the fact im using a SAS2 BP.

My apologies for all the question...I really just want to understand this setup...Thanks!

33 minutes ago, W3APONX said:

As it says it already in IT Mode im assuming its plug and play?

Yes, and the 9300-8i is IT mode only, note that you'd need new cables though.

33 minutes ago, W3APONX said:

What would performance be like considering i

may install another 6-10 x 10Tb HD's and the fact im using a SAS2 BP.

Performance in this case would be the same as a SAS2 PCIe 3.0 controller, like the 9207 for example, you can check some benchmarks here: