whats the better option?

any video editors able to help?

got an m.2 coming today, for direct editing from the nas ( or for the fastest workflow), am i better leaving as an unassigned disk, then creating a share on that or using as SSD cache?

only thing is i don't want is the data moving itself across every evening as the project may need to be on the SSD for a week plus while i work on the project, then moving it across to the mechanical drives

I think it would better to have a share on the m.2 and then the main share with my mechanicals, then once I am done I can transfer from one to the other.

can anyone help shed some light as I haven't played with it this much for a while

47 minutes ago, Marcjwebb said:

any video editors able to help?

got an m.2 coming today, for direct editing from the nas ( or for the fastest workflow), am i better leaving as an unassigned disk, then creating a share on that or using as SSD cache?

only thing is i don't want is the data moving itself across every evening as the project may need to be on the SSD for a week plus while i work on the project, then moving it across to the mechanical drives

I think it would better to have a share on the m.2 and then the main share with my mechanicals, then once I am done I can transfer from one to the other.

can anyone help shed some light as I haven't played with it this much for a while

I run a media production company on my UNRAID server. NVMe on Unassigned Drives share and a 10 Gig NIC card will give you awesome 1Gb/s SMB performance. Keep editing/projects separate from the array to avoid SFHS overhead while editing. Transfer projects/output manually or script movement to cache/array once you are done. Keep backups of your raw footage on parity protected array. Used copies of raw footage on the unassigned share for use while editing. Good luck!

Edited by falconexe
  • Like 1

I run a media production company on my UNRAID server. NVMe on Unassigned Drives share and a 10 Gig NIC card will give you awesome 1Gb/s SMB performance. Keep editing/projects separate from the array to avoid SFHS overhead while editing. Transfer projects/output manually or script movement to cache/array once you are done. Keep backups of your raw footage on parity protected array. Used copies of raw footage on the unassigned share for use while exiting. Good luck!

That’s wicked. Yeah I have 10gb nic.

So defo go with the unassigned and put that as it’s own share ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely. It’s what we do and it is the fastest architecture so far. Just don’t edit your raw footage without backups. Unassigned drive/share is not natively protected.

You’re a superstar. Thank you. It will be here any minute so of course I will be putting it straight in.

1 minute ago, Marcjwebb said:

With the unassigned drive and share, will it auto show like my main array?

You need to set it to auto mount and share it, but yes, upon boot, you can get to it like any other share.

image.thumb.png.2e2b31511a84613debbd9bd6fb147d87.png

\\MassEffect\Unassigned

image.thumb.png.60adeb19e9d3f087009e893a8f1e8024.png

• Like 1

FYI, You should change the title of this topic to something more descriptive reflecting this discussion. That way if another user has a similar question, they can find it easily by searching the forum.

If you feel I have resolved your question, you should also prefix it with [SOLVED].

Example:

[SOLVED] Best NVMe Share Architecture For Video Editing Workflow

Hope to see you over in the UUD topic!

• Like 1
FYI, You should change the title of this topic to something more descriptive reflecting this discussion. That way if another user has a similar question, they can find it easily by searching the forum.

If you feel I have resolved your question, you should also prefix it with [sOLVED].

Example:

[sOLVED] Best NVMe Share Architecture For Video Editing Workflow

Hope to see you over in the UUD topic!

My bad. The replies given have been exactly what I was looking for. So effectively there is no need for the post. However. Thank you to the user who was super fast and shared awesome info. You’ve just made my video workflow a huge amount better .

Just now, Marcjwebb said:

My bad. The replies given have been exactly what I was looking for. So effectively there is no need for the post. However. Thank you to the user who was super fast and shared awesome info. You’ve just made my video workflow a huge amount better .

Happy to help!

• Like 1