[SOLVED] Yes, YASLQ (Yet Another Split Level Query)

Apologies for the noob question.  

What is the proper form that the split level should be written as?  ie "Split Level 3" or "Split Level = 3" or "3" or something else?

The reason I ask is because I am using Zappiti with a Dune media player and it stores all of its info in one of my user shares and it has thousands of files in its folder which I think causes my server to hang when I try to update the files.  My configuration is:

Level  1                      Media (User Share)

/            |           \

Level  2                Movies   Zappiti        TV Shows

|

Level  3                            Zappiti Info

I believe my split level should be set to 3 but am unsure what I should type into the Split Level: box on the web management page.  I think I should just type in 3?

First, I really like your diagram there and I think I'll use it for the wiki... Joe answered your question in that you just enter the numeral in the field.

Second, split-level is identifying the lowest level directory in the hierarchy that can be split among multiple hard drives (where level 2 is considered "lower" than level 1 - your diagram is great for this).  Hence if you set split-level to 3, then your "Zappiti Info" directory can be spread among multiple disks; are you sure this is what you want?  YAMJ for example has a similar giant directory with all the generated html, etc., called "Jukebox" - typically I want Jukebox to not be split because I only want that drive which contains it to spin up when it's being accessed.  Make sense?

Thanks for that.  I was thinking that the split level was the lowest level that could NOT be split rather than the lowest level that could be split.  In my case, I have two other folders under Zappiti Info so in my current configuration, I think the two folders could be on different drives but the contents in the folders would stay in their respective drives (if the folders were split).  I may change the split level to 2 so that they all remain on the same drive and any movie folders under movies stay on the same drive as well.

The other thing I've been thinking about is how that interacts with a cache drive.  I've noticed that Zappiti, when updating the database, will delete files and add new ones.  I assume that when using a cache drive, the deleted files will be deleted from the "permanent" drives and the new files will be added to the cache drive and then moved over at the scheduled time.  That's how it seemed to work last night when I was looking at the drive activity while exporting Zappiti to the server.

Ok so what is the disadvantage to setting it to 999? This seems to be a common issue, surely someone has come up with the best way to make all of this work.

If you can't be bothered understanding that the split level depends on your top level directory structure or that the split level is a means to ensure the content of the lower level directory structure stays together then using 999 is the perfect solution for you.

At this point, I figure that if there are lingering doubts as to even Level 1 not always working, I'll just leave my setting to "1" and not worry about it as long as my stuff shows up and plays  :D

Mods, please let me know if you want this thread edited to [sOLVED]. Otherwise I'll keep it un-edited. Thanks for all the input folks!

Just to respond again. Did you miss my earlier post where I agreed with you wanting to use level 1 for your music and for your TV? Your initial question just didn't make it very clear what you wanted, at least to me anyways. It would have been much clearer if you had posted, for example, that you wanted the music share to spread out to all disks but keep each artist on a single disk. I think you knew what you wanted, just not how to easily describe it exactly like everyone else. You posted you want your movie alphabetical directories - A, B, C etc - to spread out to multiple disks so level 2 is good. If you change movies to level 1 then your movies won't spread out across the disks correctly and your movies will never use a new disk (well unless for example Z didn't exist yet then the Z movies would only use the new disk).

I think you should mark it as solved, you've got the right answer.

Peter

Its not that I cant be bothered, its that I want to understand and don't which I why I read every post that has to do with split level. I just want get he most out of my server with the least hassle. I am starting to get the feeling I am making things more complex than they should be.

This is what I have right now... can someone reassure me that I have this setup right?  MEDIA is the User Share...

I don't care where it puts movie sub folders or the MKV inside of it... the only time it is going to have multiple files in a movie folder is if there is a VIDEO_TS folder present and I want the contents of that folder to stay together.

I don't care where it puts TV shows or Season folders but I want the contents of the seasons to stay together.

I don't care where it puts the year/event folder for my personal photos but would like the contents of the event folders to stay together.

I have it set to Split level 3 right now but can't figure out if it needs to be 4 or not because some of the other diagrams confuse me with the user share labeled as level 1.

MEDIA

|

|__ Movies

|    |_ The Hangover

|        |_ VIDEO_TS

|            |_ VTS_01_1.vob... etc

|    |_ Avatar

|        |_ Avatar.mkv

|

|__ TV

|    |_ The Office

|        |_ Season 1

|              |_ Episode 1.mkv

|       

|__ Pictures       

|        |_ 2003

|              |_ Pittsburgh Auto show

|                  |_ Photo1.jpg       

|           

The best thing you can probably do is have separate shares for your Movies, TV and Pictures.

It would simplify things a lot.

SPLIT 0  MEDIA

|

SPLIT 1  |__ Movies

SPLIT 2  |     |_ The Hangover

SPLIT 3  |         |_ VIDEO_TS

|             |_ VTS_01_1.vob... etc

SPLIT 2  |     |_ Avatar

|         |_ Avatar.mkv

Thanks guys...

I didn't use separate shares due to reading about a lot of the network attached media streamers having issues with mounting/browsing/indexing multiple SMB Shares.  I don't own one yet but didn't want to have an issue with whatever I end up with.