Preclearing disks breaks server connection?

pimmesz

Hi!

So I'm really lost here. I am trying to add 2 new disks to my array. First I tried to pre-clear these disks. After a few hours my server becomes unresponsive and all the other devices which are connected to the same router as well? Everytime when I restart after this and restart the pre-clear the same thing happens... No clue what this is causing.

After a few tries I'm trying to add the disks to the array directly after formatting them. Currently it is showing as the image below. Would this also work? And when does the status of 'new device' change so that the space is actually added to the array?

Thanks!

fVRVZHg.png

tower-diagnostics-20201101-1351.zip

Preclearing isn't required, but when you add a disk to a new data slot in an array that already has valid parity, it must be clear so parity will remain valid. A clear disk is all zeros so doesn't affect parity. A formatted disk is not a clear disk.

So, Unraid is clearing the new disks. It will take several hours though not as long as a full preclear since all it is doing is writing zeros to the entire disk.

After it has finished clearing it will let you format them in the array.