Upgrade parity, remove data drive, and upgrade cache

DizkoDan

Hey all,

I've got a few operations I need to perform and want to make sure that I do this in the right order, with the least amount of time.

1st, I want to upgrade my parity drive with a bigger one, and turn the old into a data drive. I have an older smaller data drive that I already moved the data off of, and want to remove it so I can connect the new parity drive in it's place and run a couple preclear cycles on it.

2nd, I have a bigger ssd drive that I want to use to replace the old cache drive. 

I'm guessing that I should use the Clear drive then remove procedure. to get rid of the old data drive. Then I can just pop in the new drive when I pull the old. As for the cache drive, is this still the preferred method? What's the most straight forward approach to get all of this done without numerous parity checks/rebuilds, and shutdowns.

Thanks,

-Dan

8 hours ago, DizkoDan said:

1st, I want to upgrade my parity drive with a bigger one, and turn the old into a data drive. I have an older smaller data drive that I already moved the data off of, and want to remove it so I can connect the new parity drive in it's place and run a couple preclear cycles on it.

Quickest way would be to do a new config, remove the small disk, assign the new parity and sync it.

8 hours ago, DizkoDan said:

As for the cache drive, is this still the preferred method?

If the current cache is btrfs you can do an online replacement.

7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Quickest way would be to do a new config, remove the small disk, assign the new parity and sync it.

While this would definitely be the fastest route, this assumes that the new parity drive is already tested and ready to go. It's not, and I don't even actually have it yet, so there's time to drop the old data drive first I guess and let it rebuild. Then physically pull it when I get the new drive.

If the current cache is btrfs you can do an online replacement.

Is there any real benefit of going this route vs moving stuff off the existing then swapping aside from less steps? My apps only take like 20GB, so I imagine it would be fairly quick to move to the array and back, and it won't require both drives being installed at the same time.

Thanks,

-Dan