New Drive cannot "Identify" under preclear

bsim

Racking my brain on this one...

3 new 12TB drives (identical shucked drives) (they do not have disable pin)

verified smart ok seperate windows machine BEFORE shuck (HD Tune Pro), ALL THREE OK

verified smart ok seperate windows machine AFTER shuck (HD Tune Pro), ALL THREE OK

wiped all partitions, ran read and write tests for all three, no problems

attached 3 drives to server, preclear plugin identified 2 fine, 3rd drive does not show "identity", only "_" (Attached pics)

switched sata connection with one of the working drives, 3rd drive still does not identify

switched power connection, 3rd drive still does not identify

from command line, attempted to manually pull smart (smartctl -H /dev/sdac)

2 drives results passed, possible bad drive "INQUIRY failed"

Is this just an oddly bad drive or is there some sort of cached drive data going wonky?

Preclear Error 2.jpg

Preclear Errror 1.jpg

Nevermind...It has to be a bug in the preclear plugin.

by chance ssh'ed (WinSCP) to unraid, and found that the /dev/sdac was actually a 30GB file.

Deleted the file, unplugged and replugged sata connection for that drive and VOILLA!

My problem must be with a bug or unhandled case in the preclear script, previously, when I was preclearing the drives, I had unplugged one of them in mid preclear...and even after attempting to stop the preclear on that drive, it must have choked on something. After wiping out that /dev file, this came up in the preclear!

Preclear Bug After Deleting sdac file and reset sata cable.jpg

sdac error.jpg

5 hours ago, bsim said:

previously, when I was preclearing the drives, I had unplugged one of them in mid preclear.

yeah, don't do that.

Unraid isn't really designed with hot swap in mind. You can get away with it in some cases, but in general it's not even considered as a thing that may happen. When a drive disappears while powered up, the first reaction is that it failed, not assume it was done on purpose. Granted, this plugin shouldn't continue to write to a missing device, but I understand why it did.

I would think that if the drive wasn't part of the array (abruptly disconnected), it would have just errored out...If I would have not started from basics to figure out why the drive was being wonky, I could have sworn it was a very specific hard drive defect. The fact that the utility was writing data directly to the /dev folder and it was being written as a file rather than a device is really screwy.

All three drives are now pre-clearing without issue.