DNS Issue

Hi,

I would personally start troubleshooting by trying to ping GitHub.com from the router WAN interface. If successful, then I would try pinging GitHub.com from the unraid console.

If pinging GitHub.com fails but pinging to its resolved IP works, then this is indeed a DNS resolver issue. You can find ones DNS's IPs with online DNS resolvers you will find on Google. 

I hope this helps.

Best,

OP

7 hours ago, Opawesome said:

Hi,

I would personally start troubleshooting by trying to ping GitHub.com from the router WAN interface. If successful, then I would try pinging GitHub.com from the unraid console.

If pinging GitHub.com fails but pinging to its resolved IP works, then this is indeed a DNS resolver issue. You can find ones DNS's IPs with online DNS resolvers you will find on Google. 

I hope this helps.

Best,

OP

I can’t ping GitHub or anything other than my internal network. I’ve tired 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9 and the backups for those as well.

51 minutes ago, coolguy1771 said:

I can’t ping GitHub or anything other than my internal network. I’ve tired 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9 and the backups for those as well.

Well, if you can't ping anything, even from your router, then it is unlikely an Unraid issue I am afraid, and rather a networking issue that you will need to fix with your router.

Best

OP 

Sorry, I see you have vlan and other stuff which I don't know how to trouble shoot.

While you wait for some more expert fellow user to help you, maybe you could also try to:

1. ping your gateway and other local devices from the Unraid terminal to see what happens
  2. < sudo ping -I br0 8.8.8.8 > and
  3. < sudo ping -I br0.400 8.8.8.8 > 

Best,

OP

Edited by Opawesome
23 minutes ago, Opawesome said:

Sorry, I see you have vlan and other stuff which I don't know how to trouble shoot.

While you wait for some more expert fellow user to help you, maybe you could also try to:

1. ping your gateway and other local devices from the Unraid terminal to see what happens
  2. < sudo ping -I br0 8.8.8.8 > and
  3. < sudo ping -I br0.400 8.8.8.8 > 

Best,

OP

All of those pings work. This made me really confused.

8 minutes ago, coolguy1771 said:

Just realized that myself. Btw what does the -i command do?

It enforces the use of the specified interface.

I am by no means an expert, but in your position, I would try maybe to temporarily remove Wireguard (which if I understand correctly created the wg0 and wg1 interfaces and associated routes) to see if that fixes the issue.

Because for what I can see, your Unraid machine can communicate to the internet when we force it to use the br0 or br0.400 interfaces.

(but this is without any warranty ! :) )

Edited by Opawesome
Just now, Opawesome said:

It enforces the use of the specified interface.

I am by no means an expert, but in your position, I would try maybe to temporarily remove Wireguard (which I nderstand to be the wg0 and wg1 interfaces) to see if that fixes the issue.

Because for what I can see, your Unraid machine can communicate to the internet when we force it to use the br0 or br0.400 interfaces.

(but this is without any warranty ! :) )

I think you're right.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, coolguy1771 said:

when i specified an interface they pings and trace routes worked. When i tried the same commands without specifying and interface it failed.

I meant let me know if removing Wireguard fixes the issue ;-)

Unless you meant that < traceroute -i wg0 8.8.8.8 > and < traceroute -i wg1 8.8.8.8 > work ?

Edited by Opawesome