• 6.12.0.Rc2 and ZFS Z1 (Raid5) Cache - can't delete empty Folders

DataCollector
    • Minor

Hello.

I don't know if I found a 6.12.0-RC2 oder ZFS bug or if it is a problem in my configuration.

When I used 6.11.5 stable, I used 3 pieces of 2TB SSD combined with BTRFS als a Cache for several SMB shares.
    There I copied from external Win-PC to the share, and the files were buffered in this Cache ("cachesam").
    Then i could automatically (mover) or manually (mc, krusader oder File Plugin) move the fiiles and directories from the cache to the Disks in the array.

Now I changed to 6.12.0-RC2, deleted this cache, created it with ZFS Z1 (Raid5) new.

Here I do also copy files from the same extrenal Win-PC to the smb share, it gets buffered on the cache ("cachesam").
    Then I try to manually move the directory/folders including the files to the array.
    The files get moved, but mc and even the file manager plugin can't move or even delete the now empty DATA or AEV folders on the cache ("cachesam").

If technical info is neccesary: see my Footer, this is my 2nd System (Shipon).

Here some Pics:
    Screenshot 1: mc can not move the DATA Directory to the Array. The files in it were moved.
    Screenshot 2: FileManager Plugin tries to delete the empty DATA folder. but after I klick proceed and reload the cachesam Directory DATA still exists.
    Screenshot 3: Emptied Directory(Folder)  /mnt/cachesam/DATA  shown in Filemanager plugin and mc simultaneous.

DELETE-ERROR-11--2023-03-30 13_08_49-102 Tessa Main (TESSA-MAIN1064) – VNC Viewer.png

DELETE-ERROR-22--2023-03-30 13_08_49-102 Tessa Main (TESSA-MAIN1064) – VNC Viewer.png

DELETE-ERROR-00--2023-03-30 13_08_49-102 Tessa Main (TESSA-MAIN1064) – VNC Viewer.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

If the share was created using the GUI it will create a zfs dataset, make sure it's empty and you can delete with:

zfs destroy cachesam/DATA

Note that if you create the folder/share manually with mkdir for example it will create a regular folder that can be normally deleted.

When the share is empty, you can use the GUI to delete it.

See Shares -> sharename -> delete

Ps keep in mind a share is a folder, but a special case at the same time.

Shares are best managed via the GUI

12 hours ago, JorgeB said:

If the share was created using the GUI it will create a zfs dataset, make sure it's empty and you can delete with:

zfs destroy cachesam/DATA

Note that if you create the folder/share manually with mkdir for example it will create a regular folder that can be normally deleted.

Like I mentioned: the folders are automatically created (from unraid) as I copy data from an external windows PC to the share (with this Cache/ZFS-Pool).

13 hours ago, bonienl said:

When the share is empty, you can use the GUI to delete it.

See Shares -> sharename -> delete

Stop: I do not want to delete the complete share including the folder on the array!

unraid uses the ZFS Pool as Cache and creates additional folders/directories inside the share on the Cache SSDs.

And I want to manually delete the folders in/on the cache SSDs.

I guess my description was to shallow, so I add 3 additional Screenshots

Screenshot 1: View of my Shares

Screenshot 2: View of the Pool "cachesam" (Pool of 3 Samsung NVMe SSDs zfs)

Screenshot 3: folders/directories created from unraid, because of the fact that the shares AEV and DATA usees the pool "cachesam" as cache.

Ps keep in mind a share is a folder, but a special case at the same time.

Thanks, but I do not want to kill the complete share (every folder even on the Array). I want to delete the now empty folders created from unraid because this pool is used as cache. (and yes, I do try to kill the folder from the pool directly and not from the usershare (which would include the same names folders on the Array). And I prefer to use mc and not console.)

With unraid 6.11.5 stable and BTRFS Cache it worked that way.

But since BTRFS Pools (consisting of several Disks/SSDs) are not very stable, I switched to 6.12.0-rc2 with zfs because I thought it would work the same on this file-level, except it would be more stable as BTRFS Raid.

Shares are best managed via the GUI

Yes, but I do not want to kill the user shares called AEV or DATA, I want to delete only the now empty folder(s) on only the cache disk/pool/ssds.

Shares2023-03-31 02_39_18-102 Tessa Main (TESSA-MAIN1064) – VNC Viewer.png

Shares2-2023-03-31 02_40_16-102 Tessa Main (TESSA-MAIN1064) – VNC Viewer.png

Shares-3-2023-03-31 02_40_47-102 Tessa Main (TESSA-MAIN1064) – VNC Viewer.png

Edited by DataCollector
    clarify
    6 hours ago, DataCollector said:

Like I mentioned: the folders are automatically created (from unraid) as I copy data from an external windows PC to the share (with this Cache/ZFS-Pool).

Same as if you create them using the GUI, it will create a ZFS dataset, this is intended behavior, and like mentioned those can only be deleted with zfs destroy, alternatively you can create the folders manually with mkdir before doing the transfer and then you can delete them normally.

Also note that if you use the mover to move the data from the pool to the array the mover will delete those empty datasets in the end.

3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Also note that if you use the mover to move the data from the pool to the array the mover will delete those empty datasets in the end.

That I tried: no. an empty (AEV) folder still exists.

But thanks anyway. It seems zfs may be more stable than BTRFS, but sadly it does not behave the same when making normal file operations.

😔

• Upvote 1
    Just now, DataCollector said:

That I tried: no. an empty (AEV) folder still exists.

I cannot replicate that and there are no other reports, please enable mover logging, run the mover and post the diagnostics.

2 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

I cannot replicate that and there are no other reports, please enable mover logging, run the mover and post the diagnostics.

Since AEV ist now (since this Morning [geman timezone]) in use, I can not now test it again.

I will test it again in several hours

I made an update to the Dynamix File Manager plugin, which now allows ZFS shares to be deleted or moved.

There is some caution to take into account:

1. Shares created in the GUI on a ZFS pool, are automatically set as a ZFS dataset. When moving these shares to a non ZFS pool (or array), the dataset is lost, content is never lost
    2. Shares with a specific (only) pool designation need to be updated to reflect the new destination.

Example:

The share "third" is created and exists only on the ZFS pool

image.png

Now we want to move this share to the "cache_extra" pool, which is a btrfs pool.

It is required to update the share settings

image.png

Use the file manager to move the share

image.png

After the move the share "third" is completely gone from the ZFS pool

image.png

AGAIN: USE WITH CAUTION!

So, I could test it (using mover to remove empty folder from zfs pool/cache) again yesterday.

In this test mover did move the empty AEV folder (after manual staring mover, it was ready in a flash [no surprise, because there was only the empty folder to move], then the AEV folder was gone from the zfs pool/cache).
    I am puzzled, because before I started this Diskussion, I did do the same.

So now I know that I can at least use this method to remove the empty folgers from the zfs Pool/cache.

I thank bonienl very much for update the File Manager plugin to be possible to use it for this purpose!

I still think, it would be usefull and userfriendly, if the supplied tool (mc) could also work with it.

Edited by DataCollector
    • Like 1