• [6.7.0-rc2] New vfio bind fails with multiple devices

saarg
    • Solved Minor

Specifying more than one PCI ID in vfio-pci.cfg results in none of the specified devices bound bound to vfio-pci.

Changing it to only one PCI ID and it binds to vfio-pci for all devices in that IOMMU group.

I didn't see anything in the logs about the new method, but I have attached two diagnostics, one working (-bind at the end) and one not working (no-bind at the end).

There is also a wrong description in the comments in the new vfio-pci script. It says: Devices are specified in /boot/config/vfio-bind.cfg.

The correct file name used in the script is vfio-pci.cfg. Just in case someone reads the script instead of the release notes of the RC, it should be changed.

linuxserverdev-diagnostics-20190126-1346-bind.zip

linuxserverdev-diagnostics-20190126-1342-no-bind.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Specifying more than one PCI ID in vfio-pci.cfg results in none of the specified devices bound bound to vfio-pci.

Changing it to only one PCI ID and it binds to vfio-pci for all devices in that IOMMU group.

I didn't see anything in the logs about the new method, but I have attached two diagnostics, one working (-bind at the end) and one not working (no-bind at the end).

There is also a wrong description in the comments in the new vfio-pci script. It says: Devices are specified in /boot/config/vfio-bind.cfg.

The correct file name used in the script is vfio-pci.cfg. Just in case someone reads the script instead of the release notes of the RC, it should be changed.

Sorry for the sloppy coding.  Right the proper config file name is:

/boot/config/vfio-pci.cfg

and if you enclose the BIND string in quotes it should work for multiple devices, eg:

BIND="07:00.0 08:00.0"

We'll make this more robust in next release.

The history of this was that we initially called it 'vfio-bind' with 'vfio-bind.cfg' and with simply a list of device-id's in the config file, one per line.  Then decided at last minute before release it would be better 'future proofing' to take on the current scheme, so we could add other config settings in there too...

just to be sure, my BIND line would then look like this ?

BIND="00:14:0 07:00:0 01:00.0 04:00.0"

instead

BIND=00:14:0 07:00:0 01:00.0 04:00.0 <<-- wich i currently used and seemed working, both USB and GPU are passed through and working

13 hours ago, alturismo said:

just to be sure, my BIND line would then look like this ?

BIND="00:14:0 07:00:0 01:00.0 04:00.0"

instead

BIND=00:14:0 07:00:0 01:00.0 04:00.0 <<-- wich i currently used and seemed working, both USB and GPU are passed through and working

This is working by accident because only the first device id specified, 00:14:0, is being bound to vfio-pci and this happens to be your USB controller; and, it's not actually necessary to specify non-Intel GPU's to bind to vfio-pci because Unraid does not include your GPU host driver (at present).

On 1/31/2019 at 7:25 PM, limetech said:

This is working by accident because only the first device id specified, 00:14:0, is being bound to vfio-pci and this happens to be your USB controller; and, it's not actually necessary to specify non-Intel GPU's to bind to vfio-pci because Unraid does not include your GPU host driver (at present).

then it was luck ;) and yes

00:14:0 onboard USB controller

07:00:0 PCI-e USB controller

01:00:0 PCI-e Nvidia GPU 1070

04:00:0 PCI-e Nvidia GPU 1030