• UNRAID 7.0.0 Beta: Wrong paths for system,appdata etc. cannot be corrected

MAM59
    • Minor

This is a testbox, it contains an Array with "none" and a single SSD named "testpool".

Docker and VM Paths are manually directed to "/mnt/testpool/..." and working ok.

but, if you go to the share settings, you see:

Yeah, there is no "cache" and will not be anytime. You can pick "Testpool" from the dropdownlist at "primary storage", but once you hit "apply", it will be ignored and "Cache" appears again.

grafik.thumb.png.0bcabc933d2bcbdb329a69c1032f2c0f.png

Seems that the GUI may need some changes...

mamtest-diagnostics-20240630-0849.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Just because they have been translation related issues before, change the language to English and see if you can apply the primary storage change, if still not post a screenshot.

MAM59

Posted (edited)

Good Guess!

In english it accepts the change for the primary storage!!!

So mark this problem "translation only"

But maybe you should check out something else too: this is a "Non-array" testbox, but after creating the shares, they looked like:

grafik.thumb.png.d9dc7ce8de271405f9ae0794504d4ae6.png

Because there was no "Array", I wondered and tried to correct it, which failed in german, but worked in english now (look at "appdata").

So, maybe there is also something wrong with generating share always for "cache", even if it does not exist at all...

Edited by MAM59
    35 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

But maybe you should check out something else too: this is a "Non-array" testbox, but after creating the shares, they looked like:

That would happen if the shares already existed in the flash drive, a new install will create the shares on the first available pool (if there's no pool called cache) or the array.

I will kill the flashdrive completly and retry. Seems that "update" or "forget everything" does not work sufficiently.

But I guess, I should copy the keyfile before...

No, sorry, you are wrong.

Used a "virgin" key (reformatted with UNRAID USB Creator to 6.12.10, but never started. Copied over the 7.0.0beta bzfiles* and my old key).

As promised Array Size now was set to "none" (which cannot be achived by "new config" with "forget everything).

Just created a new pool NOT named "cache". and see what the Gui shows:

grafik.thumb.png.170bc5c238110e4e0dab497bf3780830.png

All shares automatically were created on "Array", which does not exist.

But at least the chosen pool is now correct:

grafik.png.95054963caac2cf6edcfdeb3da024af0.png

Still it shows 0 bytes in use and 0 bytes free.

But the directories have been created correctly too:

grafik.png.1e082ef59885b10fb6057ddd20e8c196.png

So the leftover bug is that the gui shows the wrong paths and does not reflect the real settings.

once you do a cosmetic change to the share (can only change the comment because there are no other valid options for targets and so on), the gui gets corrected:

grafik.thumb.png.ca57c8a770b848bf665fc092dd194258.png

It now shows the correct pool and the freesize. ( I guess the 0 free is a followup error of picking the wrong "Array" target).

5 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

No, sorry, you are wrong.

Like mentioned some 6.12 defaults are different, like having the default shares created at first array star, so you cannot test after updating, you would need a zip.

You did not read my message correctly. 6.12 was never started from this stick. Or does the USB Creator already "configures" something beside hostname and basic network setting?

The zips were 7.0 right from the first launch.

How virgin can I get an installation to be sure, it is no update???

3 minutes ago, MAM59 said:

6.12 was never started from this stick.

But it already comes with some preconfigured /config files, so not a good test, I'll see if can get a 7.0.0-beta.1 zip to retest later, but I'm pretty sure I already did and that didn't happen.

ok, i will wait. it makes no sense to test anything when you afterwards tell me that the test conditions were invalid.

This would render the whole 7.0.0. beta test more or less useless.

Just now, MAM59 said:

This would render the whole 7.0.0. beta test more or less useless.

lol, that only applies to very specific issues, for the most part people will be upgrading from a previous release.

MAM59

Posted (edited)

Of course me too.

But in the beginning we need reproducable errors that occur under certain conditions. So we need a correct starting point.

Thats why I did not want to update but start from scratch for now.

And of course too, the first Problems that show up are usually basic and simple. So find them, fix them and carry on to more complex stuff.

Edited by MAM59

I've been told that LT plans to make the beta available in the USB tool soon, so you, and others, can then test a real fresh install.

Yes, please do, we mostly tested with upgrades from v6.12, so there will likely be some undetected issues for a stock install, but as for this issue, I just retested to confirm, and if there's no array and no pool named cache, the default shares will be created on the first pool alphabetically, and they show correctly configured for that pool:

image.png

image.png

11 hours ago, MAM59 said:

good, i will wait until then

If you have our new USB Creator you will now (as of about an hour ago) have the option to create an Unraid flash drive from the Next branch. Don't have it yet? You can download from https://unraid.net/download

If you find issues in your testing, please start a new thread as it is very difficult to follow a lot of back and forth in the release thread.

• Like 1
    On 6/30/2024 at 11:16 AM, MAM59 said:

In english it accepts the change for the primary storage!!!

So mark this problem "translation only"

This should be fixed in -beta.2, please restest.

52 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

This should be fixed in -beta.2, please restest.

As there now is a "clean stick" install für 7.0.0.2 available, I will pull out some old hardware tonight and set up a test server...