• Upgrading from RC5 to RC6 and SMB connection to windows 11 stops accepting login

thorzeen
    • Closed

Not much to go on here, it would be helpful if you could upgrade to rc6, reproduce the problem, then download your diagnostics.zip (from Tools -> Diagnostics) and start a new bug report here https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/prereleases/

Here is the diagnostics you asked for. When this happened the first time the log's said somthing about unexpected host config or something like that. I don't see it this time. I tried leaving active directory and changing group policy to accept insecure logins to no avail.

This was what windows quick diag said "the remote device or resource won't accept the connection" and "The device or resource (UNRAID) is not set up to accept connections on port "The File and printer sharing (SMB)"."

Downgrading and connection resumes as expected.

unraid-diagnostics-20230518-1703.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Did you reboot the Windows client? Windows tends not to like when something changes on the server while it's still "connected" to it.

Edited by Kilrah

20 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Did you reboot the Windows client? Windows tends not to like when something changes on the server while it's still "connected" to it.

oh ya more then once.

Make sure the default route for your main interrface eth0 is first choice by giving it a metric value of 1

Next, you need to give higher metric values to the default routes configured on your VLAN interfaces or when no default route is needed for these VLAN interfaces, set the metric to 0.

In your current setup system replies may follow different paths, which leads to routing/firewall issues.

4 hours ago, bonienl said:

Make sure the default route for your main interrface eth0 is first choice by giving it a metric value of 1

Next, you need to give higher metric values to the default routes configured on your VLAN interfaces or when no default route is needed for these VLAN interfaces, set the metric to 0.

In your current setup system replies may follow different paths, which leads to routing/firewall issues.

They were set eth0=1 and br2.xx=1013-1015 Since the subnet in question was a storage network I set to 0 and metric 100

Same results: works with old and new settings on RC5 does not work on RC6

786532162_unraidroutes.thumb.png.4ffb9d46dd204a5a6ef33199cd18e9ba.png815748592_unraidvlan85.thumb.png.86cea4908ec0f5ff44ad447b42dc76c6.png

In rc6 we have added more security and samba is restricted to valid interfaces with an IP address only.

You need to delete the following line in "Samba extra configuration" configuration

interfaces = "10.0.85.237;capability=RSS,speed=10000000000"

This line prevents samba to listen on the main interface.

50 minutes ago, bonienl said:

In rc6 we have added more security and samba is restricted to valid interfaces with an IP address only.

That was it 👍. Thanks for all of you guy's hard work, this is a fun system! P.S. I obviously miss you adding support for smb multichannel.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:19 AM, bonienl said:

You need to delete the following line in "Samba extra configuration" configuration

I'm experiencing the SMB issue, can't connect from windows 11, but can via SMB from Ubuntu.  When I look at my "Samba extra Configuration" section, it's empty.  Something I'm overlooking?

Edited by samsausages

If you get a login prompt it means the destination is reachable but credentials are not accepted.

Try clearing your windows credentials.

18 minutes ago, bonienl said:

If you get a login prompt it means the destination is reachable but credentials are not accepted.

Try clearing your windows credentials.

Yeah I already tried that.  I also added credentials to see if that would work. 
    I don't get the login prompt, in windows I get an Unspecified error prompt, and sometimes I get an "this user can't sign in because this account is currently disabled" prompt.
    image.png.6f3a6d422f83dd39971dce5bab6e352a.png

Ubuntu I get the login prompt.

I also tried enabling guest login on windows

Tried from laptop and workstation.  With IP address and with hostname.

Edited by samsausages

So I have a workaround for this issue, at least for public browsing.  I still can't access password protected shares.

1. Open Windows Credential Manager & Create User "root" for your server and put the path, i.e. //tower
    2. Try to browse //tower and you'll be told "Access Denied" and asked to put in password

3. Choose to log in with a different user

4. use username "Anonymous" and put no password.

Can probably also create the credential for "anonymous", but that's how I managed to get the login dialog to pop up, so that's the path I took.

Edited by samsausages