• 6.12 and 6.12.1 NO BOOT!

Aspect
    • Annoyance

I have 2 servers 1 with tones of VMs Dockers drive pools and config changes that had no issue with the latest 2 updates. with that said however my other server which is a backup server with a few dockers and 1 VM on it seems to have an issue with 6.12 and 6.12.1.

It will not fully boot. it makes it to the bzroot line after the startup menu and then restarts and is stuck in that boot loop. its and Intel Xeon E5-1660 V3 so for sure not an 11th gen that i read are having a few issues with the current Linux kernel.

I have provided diagnostics but for 6.11.5 since that's the latest version that will fully boot.

please help.

foreshadow-diagnostics-20230620-1619.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Are you trying to boot in UEFI or Legacy mode?   Whichever one you normally use have you tried the other one?

I'm having the same issue on a Lenovo p620, upgraded from 6.12.0 to 6.12.1 and poof I get this issue. I ran all the beta channel releases with no issues. I haven't dug into it further but wanted to contribute to this post to get some early traction on the problem (I store all my 3d files for printing on this server )

cheers

Had the same issue after updating from 6.12 (worked fine) to 6.12.1 on a msi z690 12700k. Went into the bios and manually booted into the usb stick and now it restarts/boots just fine.

But something in 6.12.1 is gumming things up; just replicated it in my back-up server going from a working 6.12 to 6.12.1

2 minutes ago, jakeshake said:

Had the same issue after updating from 6.12 (worked fine) to 6.12.1 on a msi z690 12700k. Went into the bios and manually booted into the usb stick and now it restarts/boots just fine.

But something in 6.12.1 is gumming things up; just replicated it in my back-up server going from a working 6.12 to 6.12.1

going to try this tomorrow, also the maclan / iplan setting in docker has had a positive impact on this issue from what I've read but that was mostly in the RC channel of releases. I hesitated to upgrade my firewall / NVR/ docker server because I had a strange gut feeling. loaded the update just haven't rebooted it yet. how did you reproduce it? also once reproduced was entering the usb manually the fix to get it to boot?

thanks 🙏

15 hours ago, Burnstation19 said:

going to try this tomorrow, also the maclan / iplan setting in docker has had a positive impact on this issue from what I've read but that was mostly in the RC channel of releases. I hesitated to upgrade my firewall / NVR/ docker server because I had a strange gut feeling. loaded the update just haven't rebooted it yet. how did you reproduce it? also once reproduced was entering the usb manually the fix to get it to boot?

thanks 🙏

Try this: put the usb into your windows/linux box and run the "make bootable" executable on the thumb drive, (there's one for each OS). It will make it bootable, again. Problem solved. :)

• Upvote 1
    5 hours ago, jakeshake said:

Try this: put the usb into your windows/linux box and run the "make bootable" executable on the thumb drive, (there's one for each OS). It will make it bootable, again. Problem solved. :)

usb works fine in windows ran command. no joy trying to boot. ill have to get a picture of the panic error its throwing up. heading to bed soon ill play around with it more tomorrow, my thoughts is even with this error reverting back to 6.12.0 may not resolve it. i don't want to revert back unless absolutely necessary because i want to put this to rest in case it happens with other users. 

9 hours ago, Burnstation19 said:

usb works fine in windows ran command. no joy trying to boot. ill have to get a picture of the panic error its throwing up. heading to bed soon ill play around with it more tomorrow, my thoughts is even with this error reverting back to 6.12.0 may not resolve it. i don't want to revert back unless absolutely necessary because i want to put this to rest in case it happens with other users. 

It sometimes helps to download the zip file for the release from the unraid site and then extract all the bz* type files and overwrite the copies on the flash drive.  

On 6/23/2023 at 9:15 AM, itimpi said:

It sometimes helps to download the zip file for the release from the unraid site and then extract all the bz* type files and overwrite the copies on the flash drive.  

SOLVED, did that and it booted right up. Many thanks...going to try my other system later lmfao

On 6/22/2023 at 5:42 AM, jakeshake said:

Manually selecting USB device for boot in the bios just allowed mine to work as well. 

So my Lenovo p620 bzroot file was causing this, not sure what it's related to but are we all using UFEI or anyone else here with this issue running legacy? My firewall/automation server did not hitch up during upgrade from 12.0 to 12.1. both servers went through the exact same RC channels prior to stable as well.  Anyone else reproduce this get at me 

On 6/20/2023 at 5:55 PM, itimpi said:

Are you trying to boot in UEFI or Legacy mode?   Whichever one you normally use have you tried the other one?

for some reason i was never notified of these replies.

@itimpito answer you question yes i have tried both UEFI and Legacy still same result.

i have now also tried to manually select the USB as the boot device and am still having same issue.

im going to try the manual BZ file transfer mentioned here and see what happens.

1 hour ago, Aspect said:

also i cant UEFI boot as my server does not support it. old Dell 5810.

what error or at what point is it hitching during boot?

4 minutes ago, Burnstation19 said:

what error or at what point is it hitching during boot?

at the bzroot line right after the boot selector screen

correct i tried that about an hour ago and im stilling having the boot only to the bzroot line then the screen glitches with a red line and the system reboots and does that over and over.

Try creating a new flash drive with a stock v6.12.2 install, no key needed, just to see if it boots.

On 7/4/2023 at 6:14 AM, JorgeB said:

Try creating a new flash drive with a stock v6.12.2 install, no key needed, just to see if it boots.

Just tried creating a new usb with 6.12.2 fresh config as suggested and I’m getting the same error I’m only booting to the first line bzroot then the server reboots and does that loop over and over. I let it do this for 30 minutes and it never got past the bzroot line. 

30 minutes ago, Aspect said:

and I’m getting the same error

That suggests some kernel/driver compatibility issue with your hardware, one thing you can try is to reset and/or update the BIOS then remove any add-on card and see if it still doesn't boot.

UPDATE:

The 6.12.3 update does not boot either for anyone following this thread. I guess i may be stuck at 6.11.5 as the latest version that functions on my system.

Edited by Aspect
    On 7/6/2023 at 2:38 PM, Aspect said:

Just tried creating a new usb with 6.12.2 fresh config as suggested and I’m getting the same error I’m only booting to the first line bzroot then the server reboots and does that loop over and over. I let it do this for 30 minutes and it never got past the bzroot line. 

This is could be a case of the system being set to UEFI boot but the flash drive not set up to support this.