• [6.12.10] Q35 VM config can get corrupted after changing the graphics card.

Sanderluc
    • Minor

There seems to be a issue on 6.12.10 when you create a Q35-7.2 VM and assigning a GPU to it. If you remove the GPU afterwards and change it to a virtual Display, the machine no longer works. This is also vice versa! The VM will not boot at all.

After some testing I can conclude this is not always happening. Sometimes there is nothing wrong, and otherwise the VM won't boot.

The only way to fix this is to remove the whole VM (or have backups) and create everything again. I have already lost my Windows Key because of hardware changes due to this. A XML copy of previous settings when editing would a nice Feature Request. Then I can just set the old values back. I don't backup my VM's itself. But having a XML backup would be nice.

I will do my best to diagnose this issue. This problem is very easy to reproduce. I have already provided the XML variants of the working and non-working configurations (see attachments). I hope someone can see what's going wrong here. I think the XML is incorrectly created after editing.

I have attached the XML configs of two identical VMs. One will not boot because I switched the display back to virtual, while the working one was created directly with a virtual display. The VM's XML configurations does not have any Disk or PCI Devices assigned to it to keep it simple.

I hope this issue can be looked at.

I already did find out this is only affected on Machine Q35 configurations. 1440fx seems unaffected. But I still prefer Q35-7.2 due to many reasons.

Steps to reproduce:

- Create a windows 11 VM with decent enough specs (And machine Q35-7.2)

- Use Graphics card "Virtual" during creation

- Don't assign anything else. No Disk and no USB devices. And no installation ISO's. Leave that empty.

- Let the VM boot. The VM will then try to boot within PXE.

- Now stop the VM

- Edit the VM and assign a GPU to the VM (You need a GPU to test)

- Start the VM

- Stop the VM (Probably forcefully because it wont boot because of this issue)

- Edit the VM and remove the GPU and assign the graphics "Virtual" back.

- Start the VM

- The VM is no longer working (Guest has not initialized the display yet)

Questions about settings? See my screenshot for the config:

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 04.48.02.pngScreenshot 2024-07-05 at 18.09.37.pngScreenshot 2024-07-05 at 00.15.05.png

VM - XML - defect.xml VM - XML - working.xml

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I thought this issue was resolved. But it can still happen. Not everytime. Seems to be random,.

25 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Have you try any of the betas for 7?

Not yet, I will wait for the production release.

26 minutes ago, SimonF said:

please post diagnostics

According to some Discord members this is a well known issue for years. The XML is sometimes incorrectly created after switching GPU's.

I will check if the diagnostics will give useful information. But probably not.

IMG_1130.thumb.PNG.fe9ab774f7ac588a63d2ff5334e771e7.PNG

Edited by RexusLH
    23 minutes ago, RexusLH said:

According to some Discord members this is a well known issue for years. The XML is sometimes incorrectly created after switching GPU's.

Not a issue I have heard off before. Also without diags I cannot look at hardware configs/settings you have.

Thanks for writing this up. Happened on 7.0 and win11 for me.  Tried to add a graphics card and it just boot loops. Was going to deal with it later but now you’ve confirmed that I’ll need to recreate it. 

7 hours ago, wuudogg said:

Thanks for writing this up. Happened on 7.0 and win11 for me.  Tried to add a graphics card and it just boot loops. Was going to deal with it later but now you’ve confirmed that I’ll need to recreate it. 

Can you provide details of what you see on screen and diaagnostics

Quick fix to to change to the bus and slot to match these. Bus 0 and slot 1e.

<video>
          <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
          <alias name='video0'/>
          <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1e' function='0x0'/>
        </video>

Will add to a PR to fix in 7.

• Thanks 2
    On 7/6/2024 at 1:55 AM, SimonF said:

Can you provide details of what you see on screen and diaagnostics

Sorry. Missed this. I went through 10 sets of logs trying to find it and realized that I made lots of changes since 7.0 came out. I'm afraid to start a vm right now because I think some residual 6.12.x GPU and sriov settings were still active when I went to 7.0. I've pulled my dGPU until I clean up any old config remnants.  Last time I started the vm I cratered.  Right now I'm working fine on igpu and will tackle it when I can block off some time.

• Like 1
    On 7/5/2024 at 7:33 PM, Sanderluc said:

This is in beta 2. I have dome a back port 6.12 which hopefully will be included in next 6.12 release.

On 7/5/2024 at 7:33 PM, Sanderluc said:

Fix for this in 6.12.11