• [6.12.13] Unraid does format single-device pool as BTRFS, should be XFS

hawihoney
    • Closed Annoyance

This setting is default:

image.png.51a11caa5867216243e7fc201b4f59bc.png

New single-device pool gets formatted as BTRFS. Why?

image.thumb.png.b050adcbb0bebaa88af42e18b491388f.png

Is there a hidden setting somewhere else?

Thanks.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

That default setting is normally for array drives.   I think pools default to btrfs but you can change it to whatever file system you want and then do the format.

• Thanks 1
    33 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I think pools default to btrfs but you can change it to whatever file system you want and then do the format.

I double checked but could not find a way to set the file system of the pool. So I trusted the default setting (XFS).

Something must have changed during the years, because my old pool has XFS (see image below).

I suggest to change that wording - the label - to something more correct like "Default filesystem for array devices" !!!

image.thumb.png.8ea84ca3ed68a40457d0a82831fa8a43.png

Time for a third reboot to change that. BTRFS is no option here ... Look at that temperature. The XFS pool is in use. The BTRFS pool is used as backup once a day and not in use otherwise. It's sleeping currently.

Edited by hawihoney

You cannot currently set a default for pools, the one in settings only applies to the array, you can change the pool fs before formatting, if left in auto it will be formatted btrfs.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

the one in settings only applies to the array

Thanks. Please change the label (Default file system). It's confusing then.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

you can change the pool fs before formatting

Didn't find it. Where should I set it? The pool or the individual pool device? I'm pretty sure that I looked before trusting the default setting.

Stop the array and then click on the pool to set the format you want.   Restart the array and you will now be able to format it to the format you set,

BTW: If you click on the text for the setting you mention to activate the built-in GUI help it does make it clear that it applies to array devices and that pools always default to btrfs,

• Thanks 1
    16 hours ago, itimpi said:

If you click on the text for the setting you mention to activate the built-in GUI help it does make it clear that it applies to array devices and that pools always default to btrfs,

Why should an average user click on help if the text "Default file system format" is clear enough?

But the problem is: It's labeled wrong, at least misleading. IMHO this label should be changed to "Default file system format (arrays)" or something like this.

And if you consider a change. Why not add a second option "Default file system format (pools)" and preset it with btrfs?

That would it make clear for anyone.

Edited by hawihoney
    On 8/29/2024 at 2:43 PM, itimpi said:

Stop the array and then click on the pool to set the format you want.   Restart the array and you will now be able to format it to the format you set,

Thanks worked.

On 8/30/2024 at 5:33 AM, hawihoney said:

But the problem is: It's labeled wrong, at least misleading. IMHO this label should be changed to "Default file system format (arrays)" or something like this.

Not disagreeing with this - just pointed out that the help is accurate.

On 8/30/2024 at 5:33 AM, hawihoney said:

Why not add a second option "Default file system format (pools)" and preset it with btrfs?

Could be a possibility.   However pools defaulting to btrfs makes a lot of sense as that is the only format where you can easily add/remove drives from the pool while retaining its contents intact so makes sense for most users (particularly new ones). Maybe what is needed instead is some way to make it clearer how you can change the format of a pool (and/or array drive).