• 6.12.2 modified my network settings, making web access impossible

ZERØ
    • Solved Minor

I have a super micro X8sie-LN4 motherboard with four lan ports. I had Unraid set to use only the first port, pretty standard settings. After the update I couldn't log in to the server remotely and no dockers responded via web. Logging in on the physical monitor, I saw the network settings did not list all four lan ports as it used to, and my primary lan port had been changed to a bonded connection and had no mac address. I tried deleting the network configuration file and setting the primary lan port up as I had it, as a non-bonded static IP with a bridge, and then using DHCP, but nothing worked. I had to revert to 6.11.5, where everything worked as normal again.

I don't have logs or diagnostics, but I did tell the server to save them before the downgrade; maybe they're on the server and accessible to me?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

All NICs are failing to initialize with the same error, most likely some kernel/driver incompatibility:

Jul 10 16:47:58 Unraid kernel: e1000e 0000:06:00.0: Unable to change power state from D3cold to D0, device inaccessible
    Jul 10 16:47:58 Unraid kernel: e1000e 0000:06:00.0: Interrupt Throttling Rate (ints/sec) set to dynamic conservative mode
    Jul 10 16:47:58 Unraid kernel: e1000e 0000:06:00.0 0000:06:00.0 (uninitialized): Failed to initialize MSI-X interrupts.  Falling back to MSI interrupts.
    Jul 10 16:47:58 Unraid kernel: e1000e 0000:06:00.0 0000:06:00.0 (uninitialized): Failed to initialize MSI interrupts.  Falling back to legacy interrupts.
    Jul 10 16:47:58 Unraid kernel: e1000e: probe of 0000:06:00.0 failed with error -2

• Upvote 1

Is there anything I can do? I assume the drivers are part of the Unraid software and not something I can update via motherboard BIOS?

2 minutes ago, ZERØ said:

Is there anything I can do?

Likely not much, suggest trying a future new Unraid release, with a newer kernel, hopefully it will start working the same way it stopped.

• Upvote 1

Ok, thanks for the help, I'll wait for a new release and try again. At least now I know the issue and won't spend much time troubleshooting if it happens again.

Forgot to mention that a BIOS update and/or CMOS reset may also be worth trying, IIRC a user with a similar issue fixed it by moving the NIC to a different PCIe slot, you cannot do that but a BIOS change could make a difference.

6.12 combined all my NICs into one NIC. It would sometimes work, sometimes it wouldn't be assigned a mac address. I updated the motherboard bios from 1.2 to 1.2a and now I see all four NICs again.