• [6.12.3] VM Getting Multiple MAC Addresses

Tucubanito07
    • Minor

Hello Forum,

I am running into an issue with my Windows VM. I don’t remember this happening before but now my Windows 11 VM keeps getting multiple IP addresses from my UniFi router and I see multiple MAC addresses.

I have a nic with two Ethernet port and on the VM page I assigned one of the NIC. I am not using IOMMU groups. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

I just want the VM to get the same physical MAC address and only report once in the UniFi console. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thank you. 

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

4 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

Yes

Okay I just did that. Ill let you know if it stops reporting that there are three devices. Dude thank you so much for your help. Fingers crossed.

15 minutes ago, Tucubanito07 said:

Now the VM is not getting an IP address. See below.

Does eth2 connect to port #7, btw no problem on network setting.

5 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

Does eth2 connect to port #7, btw no problem on network setting.

Eth2 is connected to port #7. 

image.thumb.png.b7d5d12965583e97aff9139906b7a2b9.png

Edited by Tucubanito07
    On 9/3/2023 at 9:49 PM, Tucubanito07 said:

Also, on this screenshot you can see that it says three machines, but only two got IP addresses, however, the connection switch port #7 is correct but no IP address.

image.thumb.png.1cb1357abad8ccf1fca3eeb2607dde65.png

Pls note I never touch your router / switch part, because according previous post, the VM ( br2 ) was connect to port #7. Pls understand the test are use same setting, just only change the eth2 ( br2 ) to use AQC107 NIC.

Just now, Vr2Io said:

Pls note I never touch your router / switch part, because according previous post, the VM ( br2 ) was connect to port #7. Pls understand the test are use same setting, just only change the eth2 ( br2 ) to use AQC107 NIC.

I apologize for the confusion. Everything is still the same other than the Interface Rules your advice to change. eth2 (br2) is connected to Port #7 still. 

3 minutes ago, Vr2Io said:

But why 00:07:43 Chelsio Communications instead AQC107 ?

image.png.f396acbfe65f9d42c139c3eaa2c67322.png

Okay so I just noticed something. That NIC is built to the motherboard and is the one I was using for my 10gigabit folder share.

However, I do see that is getting a 10.10.50.4 with the name of the server. Also, now on the Windows OS it has assigned 10.10.50.6.

image.thumb.png.13a8f68423b697f399482ad57055786a.png

image.png.0250ffc88a6cdac3fee085768c1bde0d.png

AQC107 70:85:c2:bf:38:08 have connect to port 6 before, after aging time it will remove from the switch. If no more duplicate mac on VM port ( #7 ), then it should solve your org. question.

If AQC107 70:85:c2:bf:38:08 show on port 7, it still normal.

Edited by Vr2Io
    • Like 1

I will leave it like this for a while to see if it falls off. However, how can we make this work with the pcie two port nic card? That port I have a different used for it. 

7 minutes ago, Tucubanito07 said:

I will leave it like this for a while to see if it falls off. However, how can we make this work with the pcie two port nic card? That port I have a different used for it. 

I haven't those multiple port / controller NIC, it have some different behavior if compare to general NIC, but this also work with Unraid.

Mutliple MAC on a switch port not a problem.

If you have 10G NIC ( because sufficient BW ), you don't need separate different thing to different NIC, but this need VLAN to isolate those stuff. 

Edited by Vr2Io
    1 minute ago, Vr2Io said:

I haven't those multiple port / controller NIC, it have some different behavior if compare to general NIC, but this also work with Unraid.

Mutliple MAC on a switch port not a problem. 

So, this is normal and there is no way to tell Unraid to treat it as one nic for the VM so the switch does not think is multiple devices on the same port?

Just now, Tucubanito07 said:

So, this is normal and there is no way to tell Unraid to treat it as one nic for the VM so the switch does not think is multiple devices on the same port?

As mention, I haven't those NIC, so no much help can provide.

• Like 1

Okay thank you so much. There has to be a way to tell Unraid treat it as one NIC and pass it to the VM as one and not have multiple dns records on the network. 

Again, thank you for all your help. @limetech would you happen to know if that is possible?