• [6.12.8] Network Failure Issue after upgrade from Unraid 6.12.6

KatelynM
    • Closed Urgent

Description:

Upon upgrading my home NAS from Unraid 6.12.6 to Unraid 6.12.8, my server lost all network connectivity, and I was unable to ping the network interface.  Rebooting into safe mode didn't resolve the issue.

I also upgraded the linux kernel back to 6.7.3 (latest stable from thor), which I was using to provide proper support to the Intel GPU in the server.  That did not resolve the issue either.

Digging further, I discovered that the ethernet interfaces weren't being bonded.  I've begun using the following commands every time the server is restarted to restore it's network connectivity.

ip link set down dev eth0
    ip link set down dev eth1
    ip link set master bond0 dev eth0
    ip link set master bond0 dev eth1

I also found that I need to restart nginx after this for the web interface to come up.

Steps to Reproduce:

Server boot after upgrade to Unraid 6.12.8

Expected Results:

Ethernet interfaces slaved to bond0.

Actual Results:

Ethernet interfaces up but not slaved to a bonded interface.

The included diagnostics file was made after the kernel update and the commands listed above where done.

I can reapply the update and make another one if is is needed that uses included kernel form Unraid 6.12.8, though, I do not think it is a kernel related issue.

fairy-diagnostics-20240222-1655.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Unraid 6.12.8 has an earlier kernel (point) version, because later kernels have a modification which breaks bonding.

For future Unraid versions we made a modification to support bonding on latest kernel versions.

4 hours ago, bonienl said:

Unraid 6.12.8 has an earlier kernel (point) version, because later kernels have a modification which breaks bonding.

For future Unraid versions we made a modification to support bonding on latest kernel versions.

Is there a manual fix I could do to get it working until the release of Unraid the has the fix included comes out? I don't like the fact that I can't easily reboot my NAS because of this issue, though it's not like I reboot it often.

My problem is I need a newer kernel because I need proper Intel Arc support, so downgrading isn't really an option.

Once I get a response to this one way or the other I will mark it as solved, seeing as it's something that is known and will be fixed in the future.

I will note this doesn't solve why it didn't work from the start, but I'm going to assume it's user error somehow at his point seeing as no one seems to be reporting the same problem.

Edited by KatelynM

It's the kernel. There are more of us with the same problem. It is being discussed in the issues section on the github where you found the kernel.

To get a working one just downgrade to 6.7.0 by thor2002. There is a working one for unraid 6.12.8 released on feb. 24..

Edited by kaares