• [6.12.9] CIFS: VFS: directory entry name would overflow frame end of buf

unCoreX
    • Solved Urgent

Updated my main unraid server. At the end i got this information in the log. And it still growing.

I did reboot again after the update, but is still there.

This is no warning, just some information, but like to know what it means :)

Something I should be worried about or is this just some info in the new Kernel? Can i hide this or is it a easy fix for this?

image.png.77d61e6e0a23c91351accd2e56998a0f.png

EDIT:

This has something to do with the SMB share. I just shutdown the containers that i know are using my SMB (I have two NAS)
    And then start it again, the message came back.

I did teste with other containers that not use SMB, like Heimdall, Dozzle. No messages.
    So maybe this has something todo with the Unassigned Devices plugin?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

11 minutes ago, anotherdud3 said:

I don't fully trust this now, I'll have to go a different way to transfer data, don't have the time to be checking terrabytes worth of data to see if it all copied over correctly and possibly adding duplicates I can't see too. 

You shouldn't get duplicates because Unraid doesn't allow that.  The issue was with file listings, not with files not getting written or getting corrupted.  File handling was not an issue.

Do a transfer and only copy missing files to save time if you can.  Be sure to upgrade to 6.12.10-rc.1 first.  It does not have the problem.

You can use rsync or freefilesync that will list both sides and copy only what's missing. 

• Like 1
    • Upvote 1
    54 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You can use rsync or freefilesync that will list both sides and copy only what's missing. 

Thanks, I was aware of rsync etc but wasn't sure if it could see smb shares on a remote device, freefilesync couldn't so had to go sftp and go that way, now chugging along. 

Guessing you can do it with rsync I'm just clueless on how to do it, freefilesync works with sftp, only a one time sync so will leave it at that. 

Edited by anotherdud3
    40 minutes ago, anotherdud3 said:

Thanks, I was aware of rsync etc but wasn't sure if it could see smb shares on a remote device, freefilesync couldn't so had to go sftp and go that way, now chugging along. 

You can transfer to a share using rsync/Freefilesync, you just have to mount the share to Unraid first. Kinda like a mapped drive in Windows. You can use the Unassigned Devices plugin to take care of the mounting, then rsync or use Freefilesync for the transfer.

Edited by anibis2
    24 minutes ago, anibis2 said:

You can transfer to a share using rsync/Freefilesync, you just have to mount the share to Unraid first. Kinda like a mapped drive in Windows. You can use the Unassigned Devices plugin to take care of the mounting, then rsync or use Freefilesync for the transfer.

I'm using Unassigned Devices plugin already, but freefilesync still can't see the remote share, remotes in the unraid file manager is there and see the shares but they're not visible in freefilesync, checked multiple places. 

2 minutes ago, anotherdud3 said:

I'm using Unassigned Devices plugin already, but freefilesync still can't see the remote share, remotes in the unraid file manager is there and see the shares but they're not visible in freefilesync, checked multiple places. 

It looks like Freefilesync adds /mnt/user as the source storage by default; this won't pick up the remote shares. You'll have to change that to just /mnt, then you'll be able to access /mnt/remotes from Freefilesync. Using /mnt/user will only give your Unraid shares. 

• Like 1
    12 hours ago, dlandon said:

Please update to 6.12.10-rc.1.  It should fix this issue.  It's available on "Next".

I no longer see this issue when rsyncing to a remote smb share on 6.12.10-rc.1. 

• Like 1
    9 minutes ago, anibis2 said:

It looks like Freefilesync adds /mnt/user as the source storage by default; this won't pick up the remote shares. You'll have to change that to just /mnt, then you'll be able to access /mnt/remotes from Freefilesync. Using /mnt/user will only give your Unraid shares. 

Well I feel stupid for not noticing that when creating the container, thanks though appreciate your help 

20 hours ago, dlandon said:

Please update to 6.12.10-rc.1.  It should fix this issue.  It's available on "Next".

Hi,
    So far so good. No more errors. I will report back later after some more testing :)

• Thanks 1
    8 hours ago, unCoreX said:

Hi,
    So far so good. No more errors. I will report back later after some more testing :)

Well have been testing and no more error and the SMB is working normally. Thanks for the fix.

Just wanted to add to this thread that I experienced the same error on an SMB linux client when using the 6.1.0-20 kernel (against Unraid v6.12.4 as the SMB server). From other advice, disabling cache on the share made no difference (I'm not willing to downgrade to SMBv1 as per other suggestions).

Rolling back to 6.1.0-18 alleviated the issue.

In order to function correctly in 6.1.0-20, I had to remove the 'noserverino' declaration in my fstab entry for the mount. It will be interesting to see how the behaviour goes vs the mover/inode changes that it was originally there to mitigate.

3 hours ago, bruce_ said:

Rolling back to 6.1.0-18 alleviated the issue.

In order to function correctly in 6.1.0-20,

These versions don't make any sense.

12 hours ago, dlandon said:

These versions don't make any sense.

They are the linux kernel versions on the client device (that is mounting the Unraid SMB share). Sorry, I guess it could have been clearer.

Edited by bruce_