We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×
  • [6.9.2] Creating new pool - cannot be named with share name error?

tjb_altf4
    • Solved

When creating a new pool with the name 'system', I get an error telling me I can't name a pool the same a share.

This is curious as there doesn't seem to be any possible collisions, you would just get something like /mnt/system/system/ where there is commonality. 

Strangely, I have created pools in the past that share a shares name, but these were not what appears to be a reserved name.

Is this a bug, or just a poorly described error (reserved names?)

Secondly, if I remove the existing 'system' share, will I be able to create this named pool ?
    Or is there some hard coded values that will prevent me from using this naming ?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I don't know, but since a pool named "system" shared on the network would have the same name as a user share named "system", SMB would have a problem with this.

Renaming 'system' share to something else allowed me to create the 'system' pool.

From there I could migrate the files in the existing system share to system pool, and delete the original 'system' share.

This wasn't really a bug, but just an annoying series of steps and my lack of understanding on collisions this warning was protecting me from.  I believe @trurl was spot on with the assessment of it being an SMB export conflict IF the pool was used as a disk share.

Thanks.

This is indeed according to the "protection" we have implemented when entering names.

Btw if the share name doesn't exist, you can use it as pool name, but won't be allowed to add the share with the same name. First come, first serve ...