• (Closed) Time Machine share not following Included Disk assignment in 6.10.3

FQs19
    • Closed Minor

I just wiped my old time machine share since I reconfigured my disks and removed one. 

That share was originally set to use only Disk 8. I've now set up my time machine share to only use Disk 7. 

I verified there were no Time Machine folders on any drive before I set up the new share. 

After starting a Time Machine backup I noticed that Disk 8 had activity and not Disk 7. 

I opened Disk 8 folder to see that there was now a time machine folder and it had data in it. 

I then opened Disk 7 folder to see that there was no data in the time machine folder. 

I then stopped the time machine backup, wiped the time machine share, and set up the time machine share again verifying that I had set the Included Disk/s to Disk 7. 

I started a time machine backup once again and the same thing happened, Time Machine was backing up to Disk 8. 

This is obviously a bug.

I'm attaching screenshots and my diagnostics

I'm currently running the time machine backup, which is going to the wrong disk - Disk 8. 

If you need more information, please ask. 

Thanks

Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 12.22.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 12.21.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 12.21.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 12.17.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 12.16.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 12.15.53 PM.png

threadripper19-diagnostics-20220820-1224.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

If the file(s) already exist then the OS will automatically overwrite them on the disk they exist on.  

Include / exclude / split levels are for how new files get written

16 hours ago, Squid said:

If the file(s) already exist then the OS will automatically overwrite them on the disk they exist on.  

Include / exclude / split levels are for how new files get written

I made sure to delete all previous time machine files and the time machine share itself. 

I also verified that there was no time machine share folder on any of the disks before making the new time machine share. 

After making the new time machine share for Disk 7 only, a time machine share folder appeared on Disk 7 like it should've, but after starting a time machine backup, the new files went to Disk 8. There was never a time machine folder on Disk 8 until the time machine backup started. 

I've yet to be able to get my Time Machine share to work properly. 

unRAID refuses to follow my 'Included Disks' setting of Disk 7. It will never write to Disk 7, no matter how many times I delete the share and start over. 

My old 2014 macbook pro is running 11.6.8

444820095_ScreenShot2022-08-31at5_14_16PM.thumb.png.2df98011e79e5f99868cd3498acca5fb.png

What is going on?

threadripper19-diagnostics-20220831-1716.zip

Have you ensured that the folder for the Time Machine share does not exist on disk8?   You might need to manually delete it if it does.

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

Have you ensured that the folder for the Time Machine share does not exist on disk8?   You might need to manually delete it if it does.

I've made sure to verify no disk has a Time Machine folder on it after deletion of the share. 

I've deleted the folders using windows explorer, Midnight Commander, and the newly included file manager. None of those ways made a difference. After deletion of the share, I set up a new share with only Disk 7 to be used, a folder is made in Disk 7, then when I start a time machine backup, the files are sent to a random disk, not Disk 7.