• server freezes 6.12.6

Grobalt
    • Minor

I updated from 6.12.4 to 6.12.6 during the weekend - same time i created a VM that was running in the background. So i don't know if the VM has any influence or not - not yet.

unraid is pingable, but nothing else. webinterface dead, ssh dead, even when i try to login with a keyboard and monitor, after entering  user root nothing happens and 60 seconds later it shows "login timed out after 60 seconds" - i was not asked for password after the user.

both crashes exactly same, had to do hard reboot.

Diagnostics attached

unraid-diagnostics-20231204-1712.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I did want to come back and report that I still haven't had any crashes since I moved docker from macvlan to ipvlan. I was having them ~daily, but I am now 5 days in, and still running fine.

I don't think I changed anything else. Of course your mileage may vary.

19 minutes ago, emerrill said:

I did want to come back and report that I still haven't had any crashes since I moved docker from macvlan to ipvlan. I was having them ~daily, but I am now 5 days in, and still running fine.

I don't think I changed anything else. Of course your mileage may vary.

that's real good news. i had to go back to 6.11.5 qnd haven't had the chance to upgrade and try this fix yet, but i definitely plan on it.  my wm10 vm was crash and pegging my cpus etc, so i really hope this is the fix and if it is it needs to be pinned in the forum because it seems like alot of people are having these crash issues.

I'm having the same problem, I went from 6.12.4 to 6.12.6 and seems to crash Docker / VM /  Shares.  also ties up resources about 50%.  I'm not using macvlan either, I'm using ipvlan.  attaching my syslog before I reboot for the 6th time and rolling back. 

plextower-syslog-20231214-1041.zip

Edited by dstorrez
    Just now, sirhotness said:

after checking that thread, i'm still unsure.  am i correct that its probably the chipset in my server?  also, is there a fix for this because right now im rolled back so i can use VM, which i need, but then i can't update any of the docker apps because i'm not on 6.12.  so i'm stuck.

There is a work around, get an Intel NIC, I guess. Or does it still happen even if the "bad" NIC is not being used?

4 minutes ago, sirhotness said:

after checking that thread, i'm still unsure.

Do you also have an Adaptec series 7 HBA? That post is about that.

9 minutes ago, ambreswe said:

There is a work around, get an Intel NIC, I guess. Or does it still happen even if the "bad" NIC is not being used?

im using the onboard NICs in the HP server im running.

7 minutes ago, sirhotness said:

im using the onboard NICs in the HP server im running.

Probably not adaptec, you can check it via ssh/console with: lspci | egrep -i 'network|ethernet'

8 minutes ago, sirhotness said:

i dont think i have an adaptec hba, ill have to dbl check

i'm running a HP DL380-G7, can i attach anything that would help out, i did post diagnostic logs up top.

2 minutes ago, ambreswe said:

Should be fine then!

yea, i wish, unfortunately when i update to 6.12.6, VM freezes, i cant do anything in it. pegs my cpus 100%, i have to force stop the VM, but on 6.11 i'm completely fine.  so something is on the new update is causing the conflict w/ VM only.  the dockers seem to work.  i had to rollback because i need the VM.  so until i can figure this out i have to stay on 6.11.

53 minutes ago, sirhotness said:

yea, i wish, unfortunately when i update to 6.12.6, VM freezes, i cant do anything in it. pegs my cpus 100%, i have to force stop the VM, but on 6.11 i'm completely fine.  so something is on the new update is causing the conflict w/ VM only.  the dockers seem to work.  i had to rollback because i need the VM.  so until i can figure this out i have to stay on 6.11.

Same issue here for both 6.12.5 and 6.12.6. CPU is pegged and I can't access the unraid os via local console, ssh, or web gui, everything times out. I revert to 6.12.4 and everything is functioning properly. 

Docker containers and their services seem to be working in 6.12.5 and 6.12.6, even though I can't access unraid OS. I've tried both ipvlan and macvlan and makes no difference. I'm not running an adaptec HBA 

Edited by l3anks

It's very difficult to support multiple users in the same thread, symptoms might be similar but be caused by different things, instead of me too posts, recommend creating a new bug report or general support thread and post the persistent syslog from the ayslog server after a crash/hang together with fresh diagnostics

i have both the diagnostic and syslog files from when the VM hung.  should i post here or the new thread?  i dont want to create another thread for this issue if there is already one.

9 minutes ago, sirhotness said:

i dont want to create another thread for this issue if there is already one.

It may not be the same issue, best to create a new thread.

1 hour ago, TRusselo said:

I finally captures a syslog!

but yeah my LSI 9201 HBA...  has Adaptec 71805
    so kinda pointless posting them eh?

you think that's my issue as well?  i have an SAS9200-8e LSI SAS 9200-8e 8-port ext 6Gb/s dual port.