• System instability when using Active/Backup link bonding on 6.12.6

Kaldek
    • Closed Minor

Unfortunately I do not have any diagnostics files from during this issue as the system insta-reboots when this issue occurs and leaves no logs at all.  

I recently enabled link bonding (active/backup) on unRAID 6.12.6 between a dual port Intel 10Gb/s XFP module (ixgbe driver) using eth0, and the onboard gigabit Intel NIC (igb driver) at eth2.  My server started rebooting every few days, with no pause for kernel dumps or anything.

The issue did not go away until I removed the active/backup link bond and shut down the eth2 NIC again.   Some additional useful information is that, whilst in the same Layer-2 broadcast domain, eth0 and eth2 are connected to different switches.

Diagnostics file attached but note that it does not have the active/backup config in it.

unraid-diagnostics-20240110-1155.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

1 hour ago, ChatNoir said:

You should set up a syslog server and post the log file after the issue happened.

Yeah I did plan on that but given the fact that I wasn't even getting Kernel Panic messages on the console, and the fact that it's core network driver related, the chances of that syslog message even getting out were...low.

1 hour ago, Kaldek said:

Yeah I did plan on that but given the fact that I wasn't even getting Kernel Panic messages on the console, and the fact that it's core network driver related, the chances of that syslog message even getting out were...low.

If you use the “Mirror to Flash” option then there is no direct dependency on the network working so more chance of catching something.

14 hours ago, itimpi said:

If you use the “Mirror to Flash” option then there is no direct dependency on the network working so more chance of catching something.

Fair enough.  Not sure if I'm game to turn active/backup back on and wait for a crash again.   I had so many crashes I think I'm still in the "just want stability for a while" phase.

I guess if that means this bug report has to be closed due to that, I'll just have to live with it.

Edited by Kaldek

Confirmed at my end that not using Active/Backup NIC Failover has kept my system stable for 25 days.