• UNRAID keeps going offline

sekrit
    • Closed Urgent

PLEASE assist.

My Unraid system keeps going down.  I thought that it may have been (and it still may be) a network connection issue.  PFSense shows the server offline, and has a number of times.  However, one of the posts about saving the diagnostics file from command line, showed me that typing in my username did not work... could not input anything.

So, I did a hard reboot (it gets more and more painful, the more money that I dump into it.)  I am including a diagonostic file as directed in the  aforementioned post.

7960unraid-diagnostics-20180710-1413.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Your best bet here is to toss Fix Common Problems into troubleshooting mode.  And then doing what it says following the crash.  Additionally, take a picture of whatever is on the local monitor at the time of the crash and include it with the post, along with your complete hardware specs.

• Like 1
    On 7/13/2018 at 6:00 PM, Squid said:

Your best bet here is to toss Fix Common Problems into troubleshooting mode.  And then doing what it says following the crash.  Additionally, take a picture of whatever is on the local monitor at the time of the crash and include it with the post, along with your complete hardware specs.

memtest good (3 passes)

(including a copy/paste from "troubleshooting" system log)

Intel i9-7960

Asus Rampage VI extreme

32 GB RAM (2 x 16)

10TB WD Red Pro - Paritiy

8TB Toshiba N300 - Array Storage

(Non--Array/not yet passed through)

500GB-RAID 0 (2x 256GB)  Samsung 960 Pro NVME

1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

1TB TOSHIBA THNSN51T02DUK M.2 2280 NVMe

Jay-UnraidScreen-20180715_130938.jpg

Jay-Unraid-SystemLog.txt

Edited by sekrit
    5 hours ago, bonienl said:

Have you tried to update your BIOS firmware to the latest version?

Great question!!

So here was my experience:

1.) First of all, to answer your question, I did not.  It was however on my list of possible resolutions  (and I plan to do in the relatively future once my system is up to speed.)

2.) When it was sent to me, it was built as optimal for Windows 10 Pro.  As it ran fine then, it seems as though there should be no issues.

However, when I was preparing for Unraid, I was setting up for a few things all at once so I added (1) 4-port USB card, (1) Asus Thunderbolt expansion card, and (1) graphics card.

I should have done it incrementally, but ad I did not want to repeatedly pull it out and set it into my rack (and because I am a little bit of a nervous and inexperienced systems noob), I did it all at once.

Working backwards, I found the culprit to be the ***Thunderbolt expansion card 3***, as it was the only one which forced shutdowns when booting both Windows and Unraid.

After pulling the Asus Thunderbolt 3 expansion card, the issue resolved from that point and has not returned.

Note: after I deal with my memory, storage, video card, and pick up an HTC Vive... test them all.. and am comfortable with it all, I will possibly attempt to install the Thunderbolt 3 card again.