Size vs Disk Size

L0rdRaiden

I have folders in the SSD (Cache) witha  size of 500MB but a disk size of 1.4GB. In windows it appears fine.

I guess is because of the 4k format? isn't it better a lower one? why is this the default?

If I want to convert the disk do I have to re-format it? or can I just convert it?

I don't really understand what you are asking. When you say "the 4k format" are you talking about the change from 512-byte sectors to 4096-byte sectors, known as Advanced Format, or are you talking about the size of an empty directory being 4096 bytes, or are you talking about something completely different?

4 hours ago, John_M said:

I don't really understand what you are asking. When you say "the 4k format" are you talking about the change from 512-byte sectors to 4096-byte sectors, known as Advanced Format, or are you talking about the size of an empty directory being 4096 bytes, or are you talking about something completely different?

The sector size I guess, it says 4k aligned, is this the sector size?

6 minutes ago, bonienl said:

This tells how the disk is operating, can't be changed. For the OS the sector size is reported as 512B in both cases.

But the setting of the HD isn't just wrong? Is making everything to use more space, can't be changed doing a backup and reformating the disk? Is the setting to fix it available in the unraid interface?

There is nothing wrong with the HD settings. Most modern hard disks have a physical sector size of 4K, but report 512B to keep backwards compability with the OS.

Perhaps you are looking at sparse files.

Btw the 4K alignment you are referring to is for the MBR, has nothing to do with file sizes.

Archived