Need help. Think I royally screwed up.

Dizzy810

I've been having an issue lately with one of my drives. Went offline and couldn't get it back up. For some stupid reason I went to new config and then I shut down and swapped the drive. When I booted up it now doesn't have any drives assigned to any slots. Do I just reassign the drives to the proper slots? How do I know which drive is which? What about the parity? How do I rebuild the data from the failed drive? I have a sinking feeling that I am going to  lose the data on the drive that I just replaced.

And before any one says it, yes I know I am an idiot.

Capture.PNG

One of the options with New Config is to keep your assignments, but apparently you didn't. And New Config basically takes away the ability to rebuild a disk, since it wants to rebuild parity instead.

Do you know what your disk assignments were? It is very important that you not assign a disk with data on it to any parity slot or it will be overwritten with parity.

Maybe we can get that disk rebuilt with a little trickery. Do you still have that original disk? Why did you think there was anything wrong with it? Bad connections are much more common than bad disks.

Do you have backups of everything important and irreplaceable? Parity is no substitute for backups. Plenty of ways to lose data besides a disk failure, including user error.

Before doing anything at all, we need more information to help you.

If possible before rebooting and preferably with the array started
Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread.

I think I might be alright. I was able to find an old screenshot with the disk locations. I also was able to get the old drive to boot up. Not sure why, but after changing the power cord for the 10th time it finally booted. I am now doing a parity rebuild. Data so far seems to be in tact.