Samsung HD154U 1.5TB vs WD20EARS speeds

Hi all,

More curiosity than anything else.

I've been running 6x Samsung 1.5TBs HD154UI ecogreen drives in my array. (I think they are either the F2 or F3) (some on mobo and some through a SASLP)  Recently needed more space so added a WD20EARS unjumpered (unRAID 4.7) 64k alignment as parity.

I noticed with preclear -A that it took just under 40 hours to complete where as with the Samsungs (63k) preclear took under 20 hours.

Does anyone know why the big difference?

I'll run a parity check tonight to see if there is any speed difference but so far it appears the WD is a lot slower.

thanks Josh

Hi Brit,

Same version of preclear. The 2 tb took about twice as long, so not quite 33% more. The only difference was the WD was at 64k and the Sammy at 63k. Not sure about the density on the platters but not sure if that will account for that sort of difference.

Thanks Josh

I have three of those Samsung's in my array currently, and I just precleared and installed a WD20EARS the other day.  Just as a point of reference, preclear time on the WD was 26 hours for me.  I don't have the logs from when I precleared the Samsungs, but I remember it being in the 20-22 hour range.

Archived