unRaid Server is performing reboot/shutdown around the same time as a parity check starts

Hi all,

I've been battling with this issue for about 2 months now. It seems that every sunday my unraid server shuts down and fails to reboot. For a while now i thought it was due to an overheating issue (summer here in Australia). After cleaning the server from all its dust, and checking server temps it appears this is not the issue.

You see - the server turns on, loads up unRaid, and then shuts down.

Through trial and error, i've found that by loading up unRaid into Safemode- the server will stay running. After  manually rebooting from Safemode back into normal mode, it runs fine. After this, the server will continue to run fine until the following Sunday.

I've taken a look at the scheduler, and saw that both the Parity Check, and Mover were set to run on Sundays - thinking that both running at the same time might be causing conflicts, i moved the Mover schedule to run every Monday instead. This has made no changes to the issue.

After noticing the date/time settings were wrong on my unRaid instance (timezone set to default, and not +10 for East Australia), the random shutdowns changed to be occurring early hours Sunday for me.

I performed an OS update about 1 week ago (After last sunday's shutdown). However the issue has occurred again today.

Looking at the system logs, there isn't enough information to work with as it only shows all events since i restarted the server.

I'm honestly not sure where to go from here. Without Logs - im flying blind.

Can anyone offer some other things i might try?

I have attached diagnostics for review

tower-diagnostics-20210110-1607.zip

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2021 at 7:40 PM, ChatNoir said:

Hey,

If it was me, I'd look at an hardware issue and I'd start with Power.

I see that you have 18 drives in the array plus 1 parity drive and 1 cache SSD.

Depending on your PSU / APC capacity and healt, that might be a lot, especially during parity check.

Thanks!

I replaced my UPS (APC 700) shortly after i posted the OP. The older 700VA unit was giving me battery errors when testing. Sadly my unraid issues persisted.

Since then i have replaced the PSU in the unraid server with an 850W unit (vs the 750W previously in it).

I can confirm upping the PSU has resolved my issue. :)

Parity check is at 0.5% thus far and hasnt shut down the server (previously wouldnt even hit 0.0% lol)

• Like 1