20% off Case Fans @newegg {EXPIRED}

mbryanr

Nice find.

I checked NE and amazn, but amzn had a better price on 2 "Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E" units. I have a Prime account, so these are coming two day for free, and the total cost is $27. The best NE could do on this model was $30. Yay for Prime!

I recommend Prime to anyone who orders from amzn (when they are either the seller or fulfiller) and likes the speed of UPS/FedEx two day service. If you look at a product page, you can see the seller/shipper info below the price. It looks like this: Sold by Moddersmart and Fulfilled by Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EINV18

Uh, they went up $2.46 in the time it took me to compose this reply. :o

jeff.lebowski or anyone,

Would that model be a good choice for my Norco 4220? I bought the Norco brand fan backplane/mount for 3 120mm fans. I really want to replace the 4 screamers(haven't swapped fan mounts yet) in that case, with something fairly quiet. I'm going with 8 drives for start, but will likely go up to ~16(mostly green). Very unlikely I'll ever fill all the drive bays, but I wanted the option if I ever decided to. I know I need a high CFM but not sure how high. Also few fan's specs list their static pressure performance, which I realize is important in the Norco case's setup.

I haven't done this til now, due to money, but this seems like the right time to get some fans :)

PS: Any advise on suitable quieter replacements for the rear 80mm fans, would be awesome too. ;)

Thanks for any help/advise.

/justme

I went with these in my 4224.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185060

Not silent by any means but a big improvement over the 4 80mm that came in the case.  Then put two cheap coolermaster 80mm in the back, they run completely silent

During normal use I am 4-6 degrees over room temp (all green drives and they never spin down), parity check 6-10 degrees over room temp.  Have never seen a drive over 38 degrees, I have 23 drives in my 4224.

You could probably get away with something a little quieter of your not going to fully populate your case

Note I can pit a piece of paper on the front of my case and it's pulling enough air the paper won't fall off

Thanks for the suggestions guys. :)

I went with Josh's Scythe S-Flex suggestions for the 120mm fans and used prostuff1's(found in this thread) 80mm Kama Flow2 fans. Actually it's identical to prostuff1's except for using the SH(higher speed) version over the H(good, but OOS) for the 120mm fans. I'll likely look into toning down the 120s, so they aren't as loud, given my needs.

squirrellydw,

I really loved the Noctua NF-P12-1300 and have looked at the brand before, for all(both 120 and 80) fans. But the price was just too much. :'(

Whole setup came to just over $44.50 total for all 5 fans, thanks to the 120s dropping to ~ $9each(for 3+ ordered). :)

Thanx,

/justme

I just replace my Norco fan board with the new 120mm fan board and the Noctua fans I just got.  My green drives are now at 13 C, two others drives are at 19 C and the others are spun down.  My server is in my basement and its does get chilly down there during the winter since we don't keep the heat on unless we are down there.

• 1 month later...

Alot of times when I have a screaming fan I'll try to slow it down first using a 7volt mod if possible.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372297

Of course nothing replaces a good quality fan, but I wanted you guys to know you could do that without a fancy controller.

THANK YOU Kizer! I can't believe I've been building computers for 20 years, and never came across that simple mod!!!

Just put together my norco 4224, and couldn't believe how loud those 80mm fans were! (especially the two at the back). I swapped the 2 leads, as per the link above, and voila! All 6 fans are running at 7 volts, and I can no longer hear the server running from 2 floors up!

I was originally planning on getting the 120mm fan wall from Norco and replacing all the fans with quieter ones! I think with the fans running at 7volts, nothing needs to be replaced!

If anyone thinks this is a bad idea, please don't hesitate to let me know! I'll keep an eye an temps, as I imagine things will heat up a bit more, but hopefully everything will stay in the high 20s, low 30s...

I've heard some people say that the 4 included 80mm fans aren't enough to cool 20 - 24 drives even running at full speed, though I haven't actually tested it myself.  I'll bet that with all green drives you will be ok with the slower fan speed, though definitely keep an eye on the temps.  The rear 80mm fans will be perfectly fine at the slower speed, no issue there.

Archived