We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

[SOLVED] Best practise for cache (1TB NVME & 2TB NVME)

jafi

I have array with two drives (4TB HDD), parity and disk.

I also have two spare NVME-drives and one SSD-drive.

1. 128 GB SSD
  2. 256 GB NVME
  3. 1 TB NVME

I tried to create pool with two disk (both NVME), total space was about 600GB. Is this the best practise?

I need fast storage for docker & VM. My VM is about 512GB and 30 x 20 GB docker.

I also would like to use 128 SSD for backup (config files etc). Best to create new pool for that?

Or maybe all three drives with own pool?

Edited by jafi
3 minutes ago, jafi said:

I tried to create pool with two disk (both NVME), total space was about 600GB. Is this the best practise?

This will not be the true available space.    When using drives of mixed sizes you can get misleading size reported by btrfs.    With 2 drives running in the default raid1 style configuration the available space is that of the smaller drive.   If you run with the ‘single’ profile sacrificing redundancy then the sizes are added.

if you use the Unraid 6.9.0 release you can have multiple pools and each one can be optimised for its particular use.

• Like 1
  • jafi changed the title to [SOLVED] Best practise for cache (1TB NVME & 2TB NVME)