We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Btrieve: Unraid says some or all files unprotected on shares that do not use cache. Parity is good.

Btrieve

Hi, 

I have exactly the same issue as OP (on 6.8.3) - same configuration.

In my scenario, I have a cache drive (128GB) that has maxed out on diskspace in the past.

appdata, domains, system - using cache drive, all report some files are unprotected (If I understood, this means because cache is enabled, its unprotected?).

However, my "Main" share is configured without use of a cache drive, but it also reports that some files are unprotected.

Is there a way to determine which folders/files it is referring to?

Setting up your User Shares with cache can be confusing. If you set the share to cache no that has no effect on files already on cache. And Mover ignores cache no shares so those will stay there. Probably some other things you haven't set correctly.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread. 

On mobile now will look at Diagnostics soon. 

1 hour ago, Btrieve said:

shareUseCache="no"

# Share exists on cache,disk1,2

As I already mentioned 

On 1/25/2021 at 8:05 PM, trurl said:

If you set the share to cache no that has no effect on files already on cache. And Mover ignores cache no shares so those will stay there.

Not too much wrong.

Your system share has files on the array, specifically disk2. You want appdata, domains, and system shares to be all on cache so your dockers and VMs will not have performance impacted by slower parity, and so these won't keep array spunup since these files will always be open.

And as you noted, you have a share set to cache-no that has files on cache. Set that share to cache-yes so those can get moved to the array.

Go to Settings, Docker and disable docker. Go to Settings - VM Manager and disable VMs. 

Go to Main - Array Operation and click Move.

Wait for it to finish and post new diagnostics.

While waiting, study this FAQ, it spells out in pretty good detail how the cache settings work:

I followed the instructions on how to remove a cache drive.

After taking the array offline, removing and re-adding the cache drive, my problem with the Main share is fixed.

Appdata, Domains and system still report they are unprotected, but this is as expected since use of cache is set to Yes.

Thanks,

3 minutes ago, Btrieve said:

Appdata, Domains and system still report they are unprotected, but this is as expected since use of cache is set to Yes

Are you sure you want these set to “Yes” as with that setting the system will try and move the files to the main array.    If you want them to stay on the cache you should use “Prefer”.

2 hours ago, Btrieve said:

I followed the instructions on how to remove a cache drive.

After taking the array offline, removing and re-adding the cache drive, my problem with the Main share is fixed.

Did anybody suggest that you do that? I must have missed it.

It is your user share settings that you need to fix.

I am going to have split this thread since it was a hijack.