Compatability for new system

Hi,

I currently have a newly made server running Unraid.

I want to run a backup from this server, to another server in the same premises, maybe in future send this off-site.

I am looking at a IPMI motherboard as i like the idea to be able to start/stop over command line.

This server is to simply run 2x 4 TB drives 1 of those will be parity. And it will just copy across from the main server, probably daily, but mainly weekly.

Would these parts be suffice?

Asrock Rack E3C236D2I ITX motherboard C236 / 1151 with IPMI ::  Link

Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5 3.00GHz Socket LGA1151 Processor  :: Link

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Energen said:

Those would be fine, there's not much process load to talk about with that scenario so you don't need anything high powered.

Don't forget RAM.

What sort of ram would be best, and budget for this built?

It says it supports: DDR4 2400*/2133/1866/1600 ECC/non-ECC** UDIMM memory

How does something like this stand in the field: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb-1x16gb-samsung-m393a2k43bb1-crc-ddr4-server-ram-pc4-19200-2400-ecc-registered-cas-17-17-17-dual

23 minutes ago, stingray060 said:

What sort of ram would be best, and budget for this built?

It says it supports: DDR4 2400*/2133/1866/1600 ECC/non-ECC** UDIMM memory

How does something like this stand in the field: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/16gb-1x16gb-samsung-m393a2k43bb1-crc-ddr4-server-ram-pc4-19200-2400-ecc-registered-cas-17-17-17-dual

I didn't read the memory specs for the motherboard so you would want to double check, but that RAM is Registered, so you have to make sure the board supports Registered ECC. 

Most boards support Unregistered/Unbuffered (UDIMM) ECC.

2 minutes ago, Energen said:

I didn't read the memory specs for the motherboard so you would want to double check, but that RAM is Registered, so you have to make sure the board supports Registered ECC. 

Most boards support Unregistered/Unbuffered (UDIMM) ECC.

Is ECC the same as Registered ECC? 

It doesn't specify on the motherboard specs that it supports Registered or Unregistered anything if that is relevant.

14 minutes ago, stingray060 said:

Is ECC the same as Registered ECC? 

It doesn't specify on the motherboard specs that it supports Registered or Unregistered anything if that is relevant.

No.  That motherboard requires Unbuffered ECC RAM which is not the same as registered ECC.

My prior main server motherboard was the ASRock Rack C236 WSI (non-IPMI version) so I know it needs Unbuffered ECC.  These are specified as UDIMM.

32 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

No.  That motherboard requires Unbuffered ECC RAM which is not the same as registered ECC.

My prior main server motherboard was the ASRock Rack C236 WSI (non-IPMI version) so I know it needs Unbuffered ECC.  These are specified as UDIMM.

Thanks for the info.

Ive had a look on a website and found this supports it: https://www.memorycow.co.uk/16gb-ddr4-2400mhz-non-ecc-memory-ram-dimm

Not sure about the difference between ECC and Non ECC but this should be fine?

Cheers.

Edited by stingray060
13 minutes ago, stingray060 said:

Thanks for the info.

Before i purchase, this should fit the bill? EDIT::: https://www.memorycow.co.uk/memory-ram/kingston-hp-kth-pl432e-8g-8gb-ddr4-3200mhz-ecc-unbuffered-memory-ram-dimm

It says 2666 and the motherboard supports 2400, I assume it would still work just de-rated?

Cheers.

There is a note on the motherboard specs that only Xeon E3-12xx v6 CPUs can support 2400 MHz RAM.  The highest speed the v5 (which you have specified) can support is 2133 MHZ.  The RAM you linked has a stated speed of 3200 MHz.  It is not clear if that is is native speed or the fasted speed at which it can run.  In either case you should be able to run it at 2133 or 2400 MHz through BIOS settings.

Make sure you update to the latest BIOS for the boards.  Sometimes BIOS updates support higher RAM speeds.

2 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

There is a note on the motherboard specs that only Xeon E3-12xx v6 CPUs can support 2400 MHz RAM.  The highest speed the v5 (which you have specified) can support is 2133 MHZ.  The RAM you linked has a stated speed of 3200 MHz.  It is not clear if that is is native speed or the fasted speed at which it can run.  In either case you should be able to run it at 2133 or 2400 MHz through BIOS settings.

Make sure you update to the latest BIOS for the boards.  Sometimes BIOS updates support higher RAM speeds.

Apologies, I updated the thread. 

This one is 2400: https://www.memorycow.co.uk/16gb-ddr4-2400mhz-non-ecc-memory-ram-dimm

I've actually already purchased the Motherboard, E3C236D2I and Processor E3-1220 V5.

But like you say, should the motherboard be able to deal with it to reduce it to 2133

Just now, Hoopster said:

That is non-ECC RAM, but it should still work on the motherboard as it supports ECC Unbuffered and non-ECC RAM.  You just won't won't get the single-bit error correcting capabilities.

Don't Really have any knowledge about RAM, but for my purpose I assume it wont make much of a difference?

Thanks again.

3 minutes ago, stingray060 said:

for my purpose I assume it wont make much of a difference?

Probably not since it is only powered on for backup. 

I have ECC RAM in my main server and non-ECC RAM and a non-Xeon CPU in the backup server.

You could also have run a less-expensive Core i3 or even a Pentium on the board and been fine for backup purposes.

Whereas I intend to use my backup server as a true backup (it becomes my main server including for Plex, etc.) in the case of a really big problem with main server, I have a more powerful CPU in it even though it is not a Xeon.

1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

Probably not since it is only powered on for backup. 

I have ECC RAM in my main server and non-ECC RAM and a non-Xeon CPU in the backup server.

You could also have run a less-expensive Core i3 or even a Pentium on the board and been fine for backup purposes.

Whereas I intend to use my backup server as a true backup (it becomes my main server including for Plex, etc.) in the case of a really big problem with main server, I have a more powerful CPU in it even though it is not a Xeon.

To be frank, and I know it sounds bad. I don't really know what is required, I looked at requirements and found one that fit the motherboard requirement and flipped the coin. Wanting to get a server up and running asap incase anything goes south again with my main. Last couple of days working on this non stop, and I'm finally able to start adding data back to it. 

I don't mind having a little headroom on the processor, I really wouldn't know what the processor I got could run.

I looked again at my options, and below was a ECC version for around £25 more. Again, opens the doors for future, it cant harm anything!!

Is Xeon more powerful then a i5 then?

1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

Yes.  A Xeon supports ECC RAM (so does the i3); whereas i5 and i7 (also i9 in later generations) do not support ECC RAM.

Ahh right!!

I should really look into the server equipment route.

I recently made a new server for my Main Unraid, and it was a bit of a silly build now i come to think about it.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor

Rog Strix B450-F Gaming Motherboard

Silverstone CS380 Case (Lovely!! :) )

Really wish i took more time to research as i really don't think AMD was the right choice.

9 minutes ago, stingray060 said:

Silverstone CS380 Case (Lovely!! :) )

My main server is in the same case.  i quite like it.

You probably have signatures turned off but many of us put system specs in our signatures.  It's a good way to see what others are using in their servers.  I have specs for both my servers in my signature.

If you want to see signatures, click on your name at the top of the forum --> Account Settings --> Signatures and enable signatures.  In addition to seeing other signatures, you can create your own.