Will everything Fit in this Server Rack?

JamesJB

The server rack I plan to get is this;

StarTech.com 25U Open Frame Server Rack

The stuff I will put in the rack will be these;

Rosewill 4U Server Chassis/Server Case/Rackmount Case

UniFi Dream Machine Pro

UniFi Switch PRO 24 PoE

UniFi Switch PRO 24

BESTTEN 1U PDU, 20-Outlet Commercial Metal Power Strip

StarTech.com 1U Adjustable Vented Server Rack Mount Shelf

I am just wanting if everything will fit in the Rack.

I already got the Dream Machine Pro and the Switches.

I think I may need Sliding Rails for the Server Chassis,not sure if the bolts will be able to hold the server safely,Where might I get some for my server?

Please Help.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Edited by JamesJB

I'd only suggest -- don't spend $70 on the PDU.. that's too much.  You should spend less than $50 on the PDU, and a brand name PDU at that.. BESTTEN? What is that supposed to be.... wouldn't even be on my radar.   

Although I'll add that of the two CyberPower PDU's I bought from Amazon, one was defective out of the box -- kept tripping my circuit breakers.. but still wouldn't trust some random brand with my equipment. 

That would all fit in a 12U, although with no room for expansion later.

I put my rosewill 4U on rails (iStarUSA TC-RAIL-26), much nicer for maintenance once fully loaded.

Do note the rosewill 4U is slightly oversized, while it will fit it will be a bit scrapey... I gave mine a U of space between.

Also remember you can leverage the rear side for mounting equipment, particularly shallow equipment like the PDU and network gear.

Are you installing patch panels also ? UPS ?

Edited by tjb_altf4
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 9:11 PM, Energen said:

I'd only suggest -- don't spend $70 on the PDU.. that's too much.  You should spend less than $50 on the PDU, and a brand name PDU at that.. BESTTEN? What is that supposed to be.... wouldn't even be on my radar.   

Although I'll add that of the two CyberPower PDU's I bought from Amazon, one was defective out of the box -- kept tripping my circuit breakers.. but still wouldn't trust some random brand with my equipment. 

Darn too late,I already got the PDU,It does have good reviews and I am using it now it seems to be doing good at the moment.

I would welcome some suggestions on a decent one even though I already have the Bestten,

Edited by JamesJB
On 2/18/2021 at 9:46 PM, tjb_altf4 said:

That would all fit in a 12U, although with no room for expansion later.

I put my rosewill 4U on rails (iStarUSA TC-RAIL-26), much nicer for maintenance once fully loaded.

Do note the rosewill 4U is slightly oversized, while it will fit it will be a bit scrapey... I gave mine a U of space between.

Also remember you can leverage the rear side for mounting equipment, particularly shallow equipment like the PDU and network gear.

Are you installing patch panels also ? UPS ?

I have been thinking about getting a UPS but I have always had bad luck with them,like the battery inside dies too fast then a blaring alarm goes off,etc.  This was years ago so hopefully they a better now. Any suggestions?

I decided not to get the 2U shelf I went and got this to help hold the Server;

I plan to get another for the very top to hold a small monitor,keyboard and mouse for the server.

I did look at patch panels but man they are expensive :(;

Patch Panel, 24 Port, Cat 8, Shielded, 110 Type, 568A&B

Unless someone knows where I can get Cat8 Patch Panels a lot cheaper. Before anyone says anything it has to be Cat 8 or nothing,all my Network wires are Cat 8,not trying to be rude I just hate when people try to change my mind :(

Just curious Is there such a thing as patch panels with POE? 

Edited by JamesJB
11 minutes ago, JamesJB said:

I have been thinking about getting a UPS but I have always had bad luck with them,like the battery inside dies too fast then a blaring alarm goes off,etc.  This was years ago so hopefully they a better now. Any suggestions?

I decided not to get the 2U shelf I went and got this to help hold the Server;

I plan to get another for the very top to hold a small monitor,keyboard and mouse for the server.

I did look at patch panels but man they are expensive :(;

Patch Panel, 24 Port, Cat 8, Shielded, 110 Type, 568A&B

Unless someone knows where I can get Cat8 Patch Panels a lot cheaper. Before anyone says anything it has to be Cat 8 or nothing,not trying to be rude I just hate when people try to change my mind :(

Just curious Is there such a thing as patch panels with POE? 

Have a look at patch panels with keystones, rather than punchdown, this might suit your usage better.

For PoE, either your switch will pass through the PoE current, or I suppose you could use PoE injectors with your patch panel.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, tjb_altf4 said:

Have a look at patch panels with keystones, rather than punchdown, this might suit your usage better.

For PoE, either your switch will pass through the PoE current, or I suppose you could use PoE injectors with your patch panel.

So if I use the patch panel it will shoot the power needed for the 2 G4 Bullet Cameras and the UniFi HD Access Point and soon the UniFi 6 Long-Range Access Point from my POE Switch? Just curious.

25 minutes ago, tjb_altf4 said:

Curious could you suggest a place to get these and Cat8 Jacks? Will the Jacks already be wired? I suck at wiring lol.

I really like this setup, thanks for posting. This is helping me plan for a build later in the year. I have UniFi access points but hadn't seen the Dream Machine Pro before, that looks ideal.

I didn't realize there was a CAT8 now(!) if keystone jacks aren't available I would just hide all the cable in the back of the rack instead of mounting it on the front.

BTW thanks @tjb_altf4  for posting that video, the faceplate with a stress relief bar looks like the way to go. For CAT6 at least.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys I know this is old but didn't want to open a new one.

Curious could someone recommend a decent PDU and a UPS?

I have been using the BESTTEN PDU since February of last year and everything seems to be working fine so far (Knock on Wood). I never plugged my server into it yet just a wall outlet.

So I was just curious about recommendations on a PDU and a UPS.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

Edited by JamesJB