We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

SeaSonic X650 Gold Modular PSU - $109.99 after promo

Rajahal

I was getting ready to order a Corsair CMPSU-650TX that is referenced in the 20-drive beast prototype, then I saw this and I'm second guessing myself.  Would you recommend the SeaSonic over the Corsair?

I'm gathering components for my first build.  I'm starting off with 4 drives, but I'm also making sure I have the option to expand to 20 drives in the future.

Would you recommend the SeaSonic over the Corsair?

Depends on your criteria and budget.  They both have similar power specs on the +12v rail (52 for the Corsair, 54 for the SS), so unRAID wise I think they would perform similarly.  The SS is modular while the Corsair is not.  The SS is 80-plus Gold certified while the Corsair is just "regular" 80-plus certified so the SS is slightly more power efficient.  So if easier cable management and the power efficiency gains are worth the ~$30 price difference to you, then go with the SS.

I have two of these in my machines.  One in my main pc, one in my unraid box.

They are silent at the loads I'm using - meaning I am pretty sure the fans don't spin on either of my machines.  Maybe my desktop at times.

Only thing it is missing is a fan speed sensor - so you can actually monitor if it is on or not.

I recommend these power supplies.  Nice equipment.

Would you recommend the SeaSonic over the Corsair?

Depends on your criteria and budget.  They both have similar power specs on the +12v rail (52 for the Corsair, 54 for the SS), so unRAID wise I think they would perform similarly.  The SS is modular while the Corsair is not.  The SS is 80-plus Gold certified while the Corsair is just "regular" 80-plus certified so the SS is slightly more power efficient.  So if easier cable management and the power efficiency gains are worth the ~$30 price difference to you, then go with the SS.

I was leaning towards the SS because I like the idea of the modular design, so I'm going to order one.  Thanks for the information.

Archived