Licence switch between 6.9.0-rc Trial <-> 6.8.3 Plus possible?

I would like to do the following steps and ask for a short info if this is possible:

1. Set up a new server with new hardware (mainboard, CPU, HDDs, SSDs) and install Unraid 6.9-RC as a trial on it.
  2. Transfer the data from an existing server with Unraid 6.8.2 Plus license to the trial server.
  3. After a testing period, transfer the existing license from the old server to the new server, i.e. upgrade the new server productively.
  4. Run the "old" server with a trial license in parallel for a short period (4 weeks trial time?).

In particular, I have the question in points 3. and 4. whether the quasi-license switch from Trial to Plus is possible without problems and whether the previous server can continue to run shortly as Trial afterwards.

I would be very grateful for any binding information.

In the  /config   folder, you will find a file with an extension of    .key    

That is the license which is tied to the GUID of the flash drive.   Those two things make the Unraid installation on the drive "licensed".  The actual version of Unraid is not a factor in determining this!   In other terms, the   .key    file is tied to a particular  physical flash drive. 

So basically, you want to make backup copies of both flash drives when they are working properly.  Name these backup copies carefully so you will know exactly which drive that their contents came from!!!  

Now delete everything on the flash drive (do NOT format!!). 

Cross copy the proper backup contents to each flash drive. 

Now for the part that could be confusing.  On both flash drives, go to the  /config   directory and delete the   .key   file.    Now copy the appropriate   .key   file from the backups to the flash drive that it is associated with.  (Remember, I mentioned naming those backups carefully...) 

Edited by Frank1940

If I understand it correctly, the contents of both USB sticks are exchanged - except for the .key files that bind the license to the stick.

But then I have version 6.8.2 as Pro on the new server and 6.9.0-RC as Trial on the previous server.

However, it should be the other way around, namely on the new server 6.9.0-RC as Pro and on the previous server 6.8.2 as Trial!

Or am I wrong about that?? I am confused.

Oh, and one more thing:

Is this an officially Limetech supported process? It would be good if an employee could comment on this.

Edited by JoergHH
Additional question
1 hour ago, JoergHH said:

Oh, and one more thing:

Is this an officially Limetech supported process?

NO!!!

1 hour ago, JoergHH said:

But then I have version 6.8.2 as Pro on the new server and 6.9.0-RC as Trial on the previous server.

However, it should be the other way around, namely on the new server 6.9.0-RC as Pro and on the previous server 6.8.2 as Trial!

Remember that you also have to swap the flash drives between the servers.  So the 'present/old' flash drive that was in the 'old' server is in the new server with the 6.9.0-rc2 software (and all of the settings for the hardware in that computer) and the 'PRO' .key file.   In the old server is the the 'new' flash drive with the 6.8.2 software (and all of the settings for the new server) and the 'trial' .key file.

As a complete aside, you will have to reset up your new server by (re)installing all plugins and Dockers that you want on your new server.  IF you think about it, the only difference after you do the swapping that I have suggested is the the new server will look exactly as it did before you started with the exception that it will now be using your Unraid  PRO license. 

2 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Cross copy the proper backup contents to each flash drive. 

Perhaps you misunderstood.  What I meant was that you can going to copy the complete contents of the backup from the 'new' flash drive (with 6.9.0-rc2) to the old (now empty) flash drive.  Then copy the backup (with the 6.8.2) the 'new' flash drive.   Then copy the proper .key file to each drive.  (Be sure that  you delete-- or rename -- the old .key first.)