Encrypted Array not Autostarting w/ Keyfile

Hello Everyone, 

So I've been running my array with a passphrase encryption since day one. Recently I've been away from home quite so I figured I'd setup my array to use a Keyfile in case the server were to reboot (we've had some power issues lately in my area, and yes I do have a UPS but it only last about 30 minutes on battery) I setup a keyfile with passphrase and placed it in my config folder on the flash drive. 

I edited my go files as well but when I reboot the server, the array doesn't autostart. I no longer have to type in the passphrase it just gives me the option to start the array. Once started I do see the option to delete the keyfile as well. But again the array is not starting on it's own. Am I missing something here??

here is my go file ...

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
ln -s /boot/config/keyfile /root
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

7 hours ago, SiRMarlon said:

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
ln -s /boot/config/keyfile /root
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Did you create the keyfile from windows or from the console?  (unix file type is required)

Not sure if anyone can confirm whether or not a symlink can be used with a keyfile? You should eliminate any potential problem by just copying the file to /root

Ultimately I was experiencing a number of problems with autostarting the array and ended up just using echo -n "key" > /root/keyfile in my go file... before I decrypted all my drives again because the encryption was a pain in the arse. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, itimpi said:

Have you made sure that the array is set to autostart under Settings -> Disk Settings

That was is it right there 😄 such a noob! Thanks for the tip I had auto start set to disabled. I went ahead and enabled the auto start and we are good to go! 👍

16 minutes ago, Energen said:

Did you create the keyfile from windows or from the console?  (unix file type is required)

Not sure if anyone can confirm whether or not a symlink can be used with a keyfile? You should eliminate any potential problem by just copying the file to /root

Ultimately I was experiencing a number of problems with autostarting the array and ended up just using echo -n "key" > /root/keyfile in my go file... before I decrypted all my drives again because the encryption was a pain in the arse. 

I created the keyfile in my atom editor on my Windows machine. I didn't add any extention to the filename. I Just named it 'keyfile' and dropped into the config folder in the usb, and added the line to the Go file. Ultimately I am going to set this up using ftp and drop the keyfile somwhere else.