How to remove disk from array?

I try to remove a disk from the array to use it as a parity disk instead. But when I change the slot to "no disk" the disk slot says "Missing" and the array can't be started due to "Invalid configuration". 

The disk was new and empty and connected to the array for about a minute but didn't start with it due to "unsupported partition layaot". It's now being zeroed while the array is down. 

Edited by tshorts
15 minutes ago, tshorts said:

I try to remove a disk from the array to use it as a parity disk instead. But when I change the slot to "no disk" the disk slot says "Missing" and the array can't be started due to "Invalid configuration". 

The disk was new and empty and connected to the array for about a minute but didn't start with it due to not being zeroed. It's now being zeroed while the array is down. 

Let me try to understand what steps you took.

So you have several drives in your Array, you selected "no disk" on one slot, and added this disk to the Parity slot ?

Then you have the invalid configuration error. I think Unraid tries to prevent a bad manipulation that would erase data in some situations.

You should try to:

• Select "no disk" on the drive you want to remove
  • Start the Array so that Unraid forgets that this drive (S/N) is part of the Array
  • Stop the Array
  • Select this drive on the Parity slot
  • Start the Array.

Note that all data on this drive will be wiped.

If this does not work, you could try the New Config approach.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

Let me try to understand what steps you took.

So you have several drives in your Array, you selected "no disk" on one slot, and added this disk to the Parity slot ?

Then you have the invalid configuration error. I think Unraid tries to prevent a bad manipulation that would erase data in some situations.

You should try to:

• Select "no disk" on the drive you want to remove
  • Start the Array so that Unraid forgets that this drive (S/N) is part of the Array
  • Stop the Array
  • Select this drive on the Parity slot
  • Start the Array.

Note that all data on this drive will be wiped.

I have 2 data disks in the array, 0 parity disks. Added a third data disk by choosing the hard drive in Disk 3. Got "unsupported partition layaot" on Disk 3 when I started the array. 

Started preclear it, and remembered that's the disk I want to use for parity. I then chose "no disk" on Disk 3 to remove it from the array.

Which gave me error "Missing" on Disk 3, and error "invalid configuration - Too many wrong and/or missing disks!" by the greyed out start array button. 

13 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

I found something about this when googling, https://blog.linuxserver.io/2013/11/18/removing-a-drive-from-unraid-the-easy-way/ but it's from 2013 and felt so complicated and risky for something that hasn't even been active in the array. 

This method will not delete any files even without parity? 

Edited by tshorts
10 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

Ok, with the Array Stopped, go to Tools / New Config.

Then select Preserve current assignements: All

Yes, I want to do this

Apply

Back to main, change the drive assignements as you want them to be.

Start the Array.

Thank you, that worked. 
Disk 3 wasn't even assigned after that. Was that because it was set to "no disk" when I did the "new config"? 

I wonder as I will replace 2 smaller data disks with 2 larger data disks and one larger parity disk, so I will have to do this again the upcoming days after some zeroing and copying. 

• Like 1

I think there are several ways to do what you want to do in the future.

New Config is a possibility but you will loose your parity protection for a time.

I would advice to come back here for specifics on the particular task you want to achieve at that time.

People here can orient you to the best solution.

• Like 1