OpenVPN Server to Home Network

Hey guys,

I don't know if this has been answered already, when I search for VPN stuff, I generally get VPN'ing to the Unraid server, not VPNing the server to a location.

I recently moved my server to a location with better speeds and cheaper electricity and would like to have myl VPN into my home network. What's the best way of doing this? I tried running an OpenVPN client docker in host mode and killed my GUI. Luckily rebooting fixed it.

I also tried Wireguard and was able to connect to my network, but it looked like it was a 1-way full tunnel. My home endpoints couldn't see the NAS. 

I was pretty sure an OpenVPN docker client would do the trick, not sure what's going on with it. *scratching my head*

Wireguard would would certainly do what you want if set up correctly.   Maybe you should ask for help in setting it up the way you want on the WireGuard support thread?  The Tunnel is 2-way but it sounds as if you have s/me sort of DNS or gateway related issue in the setup?

Not sure why you want your unRaid server to initiate the connection to your home network?   Normally it acts as the server end of a VPN link and you use VPN client software on the home network end.  In your suggested setup what on the home network is intended to run the server end of the VPN link that you want the unRaid server to connect to?

If your server is on a different LAN, and you want clients on your home LAN to access that server with Wireguard, you need to setup Wireguard on your server and generate the keys for each of your clients, and setup each of your clients with Wireguard to use the key for that client.

You need to have sufficient control over that LAN your server is on so that you can get Wireguard out of it, of course, with port forwarding.

But your wording seems to imply that you want your server on another LAN to be able to access your home LAN. Why?

3 hours ago, trurl said:

If your server is on a different LAN, and you want clients on your home LAN to access that server with Wireguard, you need to setup Wireguard on your server and generate the keys for each of your clients, and setup each of your clients with Wireguard to use the key for that client.

You need to have sufficient control over that LAN your server is on so that you can get Wireguard out of it, of course, with port forwarding.

But your wording seems to imply that you want your server on another LAN to be able to access your home LAN. Why?

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies. I primarily want my Unraid on my home LAN so our various devices at home can access the SMB shares I have set up. I also have RTSP security cameras that I'd like my DVR system to be able connect to. I suppose I could VPN the DVR docker to my network... besides VPN'ing my entire unraid to my home LAN, what other solution would work for a secure SMB connection between my home and the server?

As far as running a wireguard server goes, my home firewall (Untangle) runs Debian, which I've installed a handful of dockers on (Unifi, NGinx, PiHole, etc), I successfully set up a Wireguard server on it and was able to connect my Unraid server to it, but couldn't get the Wireguard subnet accessible to my main subnet. I don't mind posting my questions about getting this solution working on the wireguard thread, unless you guys think there's a better solution to what I'm looking for.