LAST CALL on the Unraid Summer Sale! 😎 ⌛ ×

How do I access shares within my Linux Mint VM?

Hi All,

I am running a Linux Mint VM and having a problem with accessing my "MOVIES" share shown in the screen capture below.  I select "Registered User" and enter the same password I use to sign into my Linux Mint VM and I am denied access to my "MOVIES" share.

How do I access shares within my Linux Mint VM? What is the correct way because what I am doing below is not working?

image.png.f5e133d5315ca9143239b98851bb3f3d.png

Additionally, do I need to setup the shares in the area shown below circled in YELLOW?  I tried it out and it did not help me get access to my MOVIES share within my Linux Mint share.   Any help to help me resolve this problem will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

image.png.0de76dc4495c30bec1e74eb7abe57d70.png

21 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Is that user set up as an unraid user with that password?

Jonathanm, thanks for the help.  I am using a USERNAME and PASSWORD I created while installing my Linux Mint VM so I can login into the Linux Mint VM.  So to answer your question it is a different PASSWORD and USERNAME than the one I use to login into my UnRaid Array which is either the "root" or "artist" accounts shown screen capture below.   So if I understand you correctly your advise is I create a new UnRaid USER account and use the same USERNAME and PASSWORD I setup for my Linux Mint login setup.  Am I understanding you correctly?

image.png.ea1dc9a192e6f134d8061fedc8a938a5.png

1 minute ago, slipstream said:

So if I understand you correctly your advise is I create a new UnRaid USER account and use the same USERNAME and PASSWORD I setup for my Linux Mint login setup.  Am I understanding you correctly?

I'm not sure you quite get it yet, so I'll expand a little.

To access private shares or get write access to secure shares on the Unraid server, you must specify a username and password defined as an Unraid user with privileges to those shares. The credentials you use to gain access to your VM or any computer on the network have no bearing on what credentials are valid to access Unraid shares.

Now, if you are using a Windows computer or VM, windows "helpfully" attempts to use your windows login credentials to authenticate user access on a network share. That may or may not work out how you had planned, and causes many people to have issues. Linux doesn't typically make that assumption and asks you for credentials specific to the server you are trying to access.

So, you can either create a user in unraid with the username and password you want, or assuming the "artist" user already defined has permissions to the shares you want to access, you can enter artist as the user and specify the password you assigned in unraid.

Thanks for the help Jonathanm.  Yahoo!! I used my ARTIST account login information and it successfully gave me access to my MOVIES share. For some reason the ROOT login account information didn't work which threw me off.  Nevertheless, fixing this MOVIES share access problem and my VM optical drive problem means I can finally start on the task of migrating a huge collection of movies to my UnRaid array. 

All I have left to fix is my Nvidia GT 1030 passthrough problem which is kicking my butt because it insanely complex.  If anybody in the community knows of a great STEP by STEP UnRaid Forum post on how to passthrough an Nvidia GT1030 card  so a Linux Mint VM recoginizes it  please post a link  to it.   Thank you for your time.

2 minutes ago, slipstream said:

For some reason the ROOT login account information didn't work which threw me off.

Root is only allowed to access the GUI management and SSH, it's not allowed share access.

Regular users are NOT allowed GUI and SSH, ONLY shares.

Have you been through Spaceinvader One's youtube tutorials for Unraid?