can I fix a disk with 2 sector errors?

I have a disk that unraid disabled because there were 2 sector errors.  I replaced the drive and the new drive is rebuilding now.  My question is, can I repair this drive some how?  Is there a tool that I could use on it that find the bad sectors and mark them as bad or something?

4 hours ago, djonesax said:

I have a disk that unraid disabled because there were 2 sector errors.  I replaced the drive and the new drive is rebuilding now.  My question is, can I repair this drive some how?  Is there a tool that I could use on it that find the bad sectors and mark them as bad or something?

In principle the firmware in the drives should reallocate bad sectors as soon as they are written to.   Using the manufacturers test software should support this.

12 hours ago, itimpi said:

In principle the firmware in the drives should reallocate bad sectors as soon as they are written to.   Using the manufacturers test software should support this.

I used the WD Drive Dashboard utility on it and did an extended smart test that found no errors.  I am now doing a full overwrite on the drive and if all that works, I think I will just pop it back into the unraid array and see how it does.

16 hours ago, djonesax said:

unraid disabled because there were 2 sector errors

Technically, Unraid only disables a disk when it has a write error. It might be possible that bad sectors caused the write error, but as mentioned, usually the drive will just reallocate and keep on working and as far as Unraid is concerned nothing would be wrong, except for perhaps a SMART warning.

We would have a better and more specific idea of what really happened if we could have seen the Diagnostics before rebooting. At the very least, SMART report for that disk would give us a better idea.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

We would have a better and more specific idea of what really happened if we could have seen the Diagnostics before rebooting. At the very least, SMART report for that disk would give us a better idea.

I couldn't get smart data when it was is in unraid, maybe because it was disabled.  After I put it in my windows box and deleted the volume, I was able to give it a drive letter and see it in the disk utility. At that point I could get smart data but it just said there were no errors after running an extended test for almost a full day.  Do you think its OK after doing a successful full overwrite, to put it back in the array and just monitor it for errors again?